Should I start with an online school?

• Thread starter DarCon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary, taking classes online may be more expensive, but it doesn't affect your chances of getting into a good grad. program.
DarCon
I am currently working as a chef and have decided I would like to go to school to study physics. Unfortunately, I have to take some time to cover some basic trig. and calc. before I begin my journey. My goal, and I'm sure this is everyone's, is to go onto to grad school. I'm trying to save a little money and I've been thinking of taking my trig. and calc. courses at an online school and then transferring to a university to start my physics degree. Do any of you think this will negatively affect my chances of getting into a grad. program?

Physics news on Phys.org
Online schools will be more expensive than most 4-year schools. Go to a local community college and apply. You're guaranteed admission and with the salary of a chef you should get sizable grants from the government to attend at little or no cost.

Never take a math class online. It'll be watered down and many 4-year schools don't accept the credits for math classes if they're taken online. Besides that, it really helps to be in a classroom with a real professor you can visit during office hours to learn the material better. Building relationships with professors at a community college is a great way to learn to network as well, since when you're done there you'll be needing letters of recommendation from them to get to a good school.

Also, most 4-year schools require at least two semesters be completed at a 2 year school to transfer in, but most of the good ones prefer four semesters. It'd be a good idea to work through your prerequisites and your entire freshman courseload at a community college if you want to be accepted anywhere worth the money.

Thank you for the advice. I am hesitant to start somewhere else and transfer. I've been accepted to the university and have talked with a professor there and I would love to get in on some research as soon as possible, but saving some money and taking care of my prerequisites seems more efficient. I'm just worried how it will affect my future as far as grad. school.

Even if you take your prerequisites at an online school, you're still transferring the credits. So it's no different than going to a community college. You need to check your school's policy for allowing you to take credits at other schools. If you've been accepted they may not want you to just start taking classes at another school right away if you want to enroll with them. So you may have to just pony up the tuition and take them there, or take the classes somewhere else, which again I'll stress-you should do at a community college. You may only have those choices. If you're worried you won't get in if you don't accept now, don't be. It's hard to get into some of these colleges with a 3.5 out of high school, but many of them accept many students with a 3.0-3.5 from a community college. I got accepted as a transfer to Pitt with a 3.8, but I've known people who got in with a 3.2 and 3.1. So if you do well they probably won't think less of you if you go to a CC.

Unless we're talking MIT here, but you never said what school you were going to, so I'm assuming state-level school.

Bottom line, you need to talk to someone in admissions at your school to see what the deal is with taking classes at other schools while simultaneously being in your first semester at the school, because like I said, you may not have a choice of doing both.

Related to Should I start with an online school?

1. What are the benefits of starting with an online school?

There are several benefits to starting with an online school. Firstly, online schools offer flexibility in terms of scheduling and location, allowing you to study from the comfort of your own home at your own pace. Additionally, online schools often have lower tuition costs compared to traditional universities. Online learning also allows for a more personalized learning experience, as you can often choose your own courses and have one-on-one interactions with professors. Lastly, online schools provide a great opportunity for those who may have other commitments such as work or family, as they can fit their education around their busy schedules.

2. How do I know if an online school is accredited?

Accreditation is an important factor to consider when choosing an online school. To determine if an online school is accredited, you can check its website or search for it in the U.S. Department of Education's Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs. It is important to note that accreditation ensures that the school meets certain quality standards and that its degrees will be recognized by other institutions and employers.

3. What are the challenges of studying in an online school?

While online learning offers many benefits, it also has its challenges. One of the main challenges is the lack of face-to-face interaction with professors and classmates, which can make it difficult for some students to stay motivated and engaged. Additionally, online learning requires a lot of self-discipline and time-management skills, as it may be easier to procrastinate without set class times. Technical difficulties can also be a challenge, especially for those who are not very tech-savvy.

4. How can I ensure the quality of education in an online school?

To ensure the quality of education in an online school, it is important to thoroughly research the school and its programs before enrolling. Look for reviews and ratings from current and former students, as well as accreditation from reputable organizations. You can also reach out to the school and ask about their curriculum, faculty, and resources available to students. It may also be helpful to speak with alumni to get a better understanding of their experiences with the school.

5. What types of courses/programs are available in online schools?

Online schools offer a wide range of courses and programs, from certificates to graduate degrees. Some popular fields of study for online education include business, healthcare, computer science, and education. Many online schools also offer specialized programs and courses in niche areas. It is important to research the specific online school you are considering to see what courses and programs they offer.