Should I go for particle physics? O.O

In summary, the speaker is interested in particle physics but is struggling in their first semester of university. They feel intimidated by the other students and worry about their lack of prior knowledge in the subject. They are unsure if they can still be successful in the field but are determined to work hard. They ask for an honest opinion and are encouraged to continue pursuing their passion for physics.
merry
Halo! =D
I want to get into particle physics. It all started out great until I start my first semester of uni (about to finish first sem. xD). I realized that most students in the physics program is
a) super serious b) super smart and c) know tons beyond the first year level.

Now my problem is that physics is a recent interest. I never took interest in physics until i got into grade 12. I liked it in grade 11 but tended to focus more on Biology. However, now I find that I'd rather mathematize my theories and use logic than memorize a whole bunch of facts(not belittling biology here xD Biology rocks too!). Also, I have a deep interest in modern physics. I took both physics and biology for my first semester just to make sure, and I found out that I really want to do physics. I am not really good at physics though; I thought I was until I got into university. My grades have dropped dramatically T.T and knowledge is not as wide as that of other students in the program. I was wondering if its still a good idea to do the course. I don't mind working hard, its just that sometimes it takes me forever to understand a concept and I don't know who to ask. I ask my prof to explain the concept to me and then he keeps trying to explain it to me in different ways until he just goes "don't worry, its not going to be on the exam" or "don't worry, if you make a mistake with that, your answer will just have the opposite sign" and I feel embarrassed for being so stupid...
I am just curious as to whether its just me who's super slow with getting the concepts.
Can I still be a successful physicist even though I don't have the years of knowledge that other curious physics students(whose interest started out at an earlier age) do and even though I am super slow at understanding things?
Please give me an honest opinion.
Thanks a ton!
Ps: sorry for the loooooong story xD Really appreciate you guys for taking the time to read it.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you've gone far enough into the field (the depth is relative from person to person), you'll realize that nobody really understands the concepts.

In my experience, the more you know, the faster you understand new things, because you can build upon your earlier knowledge and see connections and so on. So it's natural that you'll pick up new things slower than people who have been thinking about such ideas for longer. But as you go on, I predict things will improve.

For what it's worth, you're certainly not the only person who tries to go into a career in physics with that level of preparation. I would definitely say go for it. Getting a degree in physics doesn't limit you to getting a job in physics.

Related to Should I go for particle physics? O.O

1. What is particle physics and why should I consider it as a career?

Particle physics is a branch of physics that studies the fundamental particles and forces that make up our universe. It is a field that is constantly evolving and pushing the boundaries of our understanding of the universe. As a career, particle physics offers the opportunity to work on groundbreaking research and contribute to the advancement of human knowledge.

2. What skills and education are required for a career in particle physics?

A career in particle physics typically requires a strong background in mathematics and physics, as well as a curious and analytical mind. A PhD in physics or a related field is often necessary for research positions, but there are also opportunities for those with a bachelor's or master's degree to work in areas such as data analysis or engineering.

3. What are the job prospects for particle physicists?

The job prospects for particle physicists are relatively good, as there is a high demand for individuals with a strong understanding of physics and data analysis. Many particle physicists work in research laboratories and universities, but there are also opportunities in industries such as healthcare and energy.

4. What are the challenges and rewards of working in particle physics?

Working in particle physics can be challenging due to the complexity of the subject matter and the highly technical nature of the work. However, the rewards can be immense, as you have the opportunity to contribute to groundbreaking discoveries and push the boundaries of human knowledge. Additionally, the collaborative nature of particle physics research allows for a diverse and stimulating work environment.

5. Are there any ethical considerations in particle physics research?

Particle physics research is subject to ethical considerations, as with any scientific research. This includes issues such as safety protocols, responsible use of resources, and potential societal impacts of research findings. It is important for particle physicists to consider these ethical implications and ensure that their work is conducted in an ethical and responsible manner.