Should I do my MechE concentration in nuclear power or in something else?

In summary, despite recent events in Japan, the field of nuclear engineering is not in jeopardy. While public opinion may have shifted, experts believe that the field will remain viable and advancements will continue. The American Nuclear Society and other organizations are working to combat misinformation and promote accurate information. Therefore, those interested in pursuing a career in nuclear engineering should not be discouraged.
WatermelonPig
I had been planning for awhile to study nuclear engineering at the undergraduate level and eventually do graduate work and enter the field. Now, with what happened recently, I mean is the field shot? I really find this stuff interesting and am wondering if the field still has a good future considering what has happened in Japan. I still think that it is safe, but public policy might say otherwise. Should I just quit this and instead concentrate on thermofluids or some other area of MechE?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would actually think this calls for more engineering when building nuclear plants, plus that thing with Japan is just a consequence of the plants being built at a bad location. So you're just going to have to give up the dream of building a nuclear plant on the coast of California, but other than that I don't think this event will change the playing field that much.

I mean still public opinion has shifted drastically (I've looked at the polls and support has dropped by a third) so even if governments and engineering firms are in on this, will the field remain viable? Will advancements in say fusion be halted?

IF you were planning to go into aerospace, would you change your plans beause a rocket failed to launch or there was a major air crash, just before you started college?

Same applies to nuclear.

By next week, "public opinion" will have found something else to rant about.

That is true; I do expect there to be a bounce back in a few weeks as that usually happens.

The Nuclear engineering field is not shot nor is it in horrible danger. Yes we need to get the right information out to counter the panic monger on the news.

This time around the American Nuclear Society and several other groups are really pushing the right information. It's a different situation and I'd suggest continuing in Nuclear Engineering if you're that interested.

Related to Should I do my MechE concentration in nuclear power or in something else?

1. Should I choose a concentration in nuclear power for my MechE degree?

It ultimately depends on your personal interests and career goals. Nuclear power is a rapidly growing field with many job opportunities, but it may not be the right fit for everyone.

2. What other concentrations can I choose for a MechE degree?

There are many options for MechE concentrations, including aerospace, mechanical design, materials science, and robotics. You should research each option and choose the one that aligns with your interests and career goals.

3. Will a concentration in nuclear power limit my job opportunities?

No, a concentration in nuclear power can open up a wide range of job opportunities in industries such as power generation, defense, and research. Additionally, many of the skills learned in a nuclear power concentration can be applied to other fields as well.

4. Is a concentration in nuclear power more difficult than other concentrations?

It may be more challenging in some ways due to the complex nature of nuclear power technology, but it also depends on your personal strengths and interests. If you have a strong aptitude for math and science, you may find a concentration in nuclear power to be a good fit.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with a concentration in nuclear power?

There are always risks associated with any type of engineering work, but proper safety protocols and regulations are in place to minimize these risks. As with any concentration, it is important to thoroughly research the field and make an informed decision about whether it is the right fit for you.