Short problem, but why is this the answer? Confused

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of a series and the addition of a constant term to it. It is determined that if the original series converges, the new series will also converge. The limit of the sequence is also discussed, with the conclusion that it would be 4. It is then clarified that this means the series cannot converge.
IntegrateMe
Short problem, but why is this the answer? Confused :(

Suppose [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n[/itex] converges. Determine the convergence of [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n+4[/itex]

The answer is "divergent," but I don't see why that's necessarily true. I would assume we wouldn't know whether a_n + 4 is convergent/divergent.

Physics news on Phys.org

If [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty} a_n[/itex] converges, then what is [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{ a_n}[/itex]??

If the first series you have there converges, the second one also converges. Adding or subtracting a finite number from a convergent series cannot make it divergent.

@micromass, the lim would be a finite number?

Remember the test for divergence, if a series converges, the lim of the sequence must be zero at infinity.

Ok, that makes sense. Does this prove that my answer is correct, or does the book answer still hold?

IntegrateMe said:
Ok, that makes sense. Does this prove that my answer is correct, or does the book answer still hold?

Depends on whether you mean

[tex]\sum (a_n + 4)[/tex]

or

[tex]\left(\sum a_n\right) +4[/tex]

The first one, which I assume makes the book answer correct.

IntegrateMe said:
The first one, which I assume makes the book answer correct.

OK. For the first one, what is the limit of the term sequence?? What is

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{a_n+4}[/tex]

??

I'd think it would be 4?

I guess I was right lol

IntegrateMe said:
I'd think it would be 4?

Yes! So can the series possibly converge?? Remember that if it converged then the limit would be 0.

Ahh, ok, now I understand. Thank you for the help :D

Related to Short problem, but why is this the answer? Confused

1. What is the problem in this scenario?

The problem is that the person is confused about why a certain answer is correct.

2. Why is this the answer?

This is the answer because it is the most logical and supported answer based on the available information.

3. Can you provide more context or explanation for the answer?

Yes, providing more context and explanation can help clarify why the answer is correct and alleviate confusion.

4. What steps can I take to better understand the answer?

Some steps you can take include re-reading the problem, reviewing related concepts, seeking additional resources or explanations, and asking for clarification from someone knowledgeable on the topic.

5. Is there a chance that the answer is wrong?

While it is possible that the answer could be wrong, it is important to carefully consider the evidence and reasoning behind the answer before making this conclusion. It may also be helpful to seek the input of others and evaluate if there are alternative explanations or perspectives to consider.