SHM Pendulum length/gravity question

In summary, the length of a pendulum affects its period of oscillation due to the influence of gravity. As the length of the pendulum increases, its period also increases. This relationship is described by the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This means that pendulums with longer lengths will have longer periods, and pendulums with shorter lengths will have shorter periods. Additionally, the period of a pendulum is independent of its mass, meaning that the weight of the pendulum does not affect its period. This relationship between pendulum length and period is important in understanding simple harmonic motion and its applications.
jojo45
T= 2pie Square root of 2L/3g

I got a couple of questions.

1) why is it 2L/3g?
2) would my straight line graph be T^2 vs L? ( so gradient is T^2/l?)
3) after i get my gradient do i compare it to the gravity 9.81?
4) is the equation going to be time^2=XXL or s^2=xxm ? do i use the unit or the quantity?

thanks so much for your help. I'm doing the experiment tomorrow and need to know ASAP. cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.
jojo45 said:
T= 2pie Square root of 2L/3g

I got a couple of questions.

1) why is it 2L/3g?
2) would my straight line graph be T^2 vs L? ( so gradient is T^2/l?)
3) after i get my gradient do i compare it to the gravity 9.81?
4) is the equation going to be time^2=XXL or s^2=xxm ? do i use the unit or the quantity?

thanks so much for your help. I'm doing the experiment tomorrow and need to know ASAP. cheers

(1a) I'm assuming that your using a "rod pendulum", in which case: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/penrod.html#c1

(1b) And for a general physical pendulum: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pendp.html#c1

(2) That depends on what you're measuring (dependent variable) and what you're varying (independent variable). If this is a standard "measuring g with a pendulum" experiment, I would think you would be plotting T2 vs. L, yes. Although, I'm not sure how you're going to vary the length of the rod easily.

(3) The general equation of a line [through the origin] is [itex]y=mx[/itex], where [itex]m[/itex] is the gradient. So, if you're plotting T2 vs. L your gradient would be [itex]8\pi^2/3g[/itex].

I would have thought all of this would have been explained by your instructor.

Last edited:
Hootenanny said:
Welcome to Physics Forums.(1a) I'm assuming that your using a "rod pendulum", in which case: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/penrod.html#c1

(1b) And for a general physical pendulum: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pendp.html#c1

(2) That depends on what you're measuring (dependent variable) and what you're varying (independent variable). If this is a standard "measuring g with a pendulum" experiment, I would think you would be plotting T2 vs. L, yes. Although, I'm not sure how you're going to vary the length of the rod easily.

(3) The general equation of a line [through the origin] is [itex]y=mx[/itex], where [itex]m[/itex] is the gradient. So, if you're plotting T2 vs. L your gradient would be [itex]4\pi/3g[/itex].

I would have thought all of this would have been explained by your instructor.

dam this is a hard experiment. Yes i am doing a rod experiment.

2) I'm guessing we going to get different length of rods provided. So i assume it's T^2 vs L.
ALso. For working out the gradient. I think it's L/ T^2 =X and then re arrange the fomula. G ( gravity)= (4(pi^2)2X) / 3 is it correct?

3) oh I am just wondering for the equation do i use the quantity or the unit?

also i was reading the page u add. for measuring the length. It's from the pivot to the center of the rod?? why is that? why not the whole length?

Well this is actually a internal for my school tomorrow. But the teacher allows us to see the test paper before hand. Since my school is having a mock exams this week i only go to school for exams. Didn't have time to go school and ask. I doubt my teacher would help me. He's probably going to tell me go home and think about it myself.

very appreciated for your time sir. I'm so grateful someone can help me out at this time. thank you. :)

Last edited:

Related to SHM Pendulum length/gravity question

1. What is a SHM pendulum?

A SHM pendulum is a simple pendulum that exhibits simple harmonic motion, which is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This means that the pendulum will oscillate back and forth in a regular pattern.

2. How does the length of a pendulum affect its period?

The length of a pendulum has a direct effect on its period, which is the time it takes for one complete oscillation. The longer the pendulum, the longer the period, and vice versa. This is because a longer pendulum has a larger distance to travel and therefore takes more time to complete a full swing.

3. What is the relationship between gravity and a SHM pendulum?

The relationship between gravity and a SHM pendulum is that gravity is the force that acts as the restoring force for the pendulum. Without gravity, the pendulum would not oscillate back and forth. The strength of gravity also affects the period of the pendulum, with a stronger gravitational force resulting in a shorter period.

4. Can the length of a pendulum affect its amplitude?

No, the length of a pendulum does not affect its amplitude. The amplitude of a pendulum is determined by the initial displacement of the pendulum when it is released. The length of the pendulum only affects the period of the oscillation.

5. How can the period of a pendulum be calculated?

The period of a pendulum can be calculated using the equation T=2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation assumes that the amplitude is small and air resistance is negligible.