Using the formula for a rigid pendulum.

In summary, the conversation discussed how to use the formula for a rigid pendulum to find the relationship between length and period. The formula T = 2π√(2L/3g) was given and it was discussed how to manipulate it to get T^2 = 4π^2 x (2L/3g) and g = [4π^2 x (2L/T^2)] ÷ 3. It was also mentioned that when plotting the data on a graph, the gradient should be doubled and substituted as 2L/T^2 to find the value of g (gravity).
ardnassac.95
How to use the formula for a rigid pendulum?

Given the formula T = 2π√(2L/3g)
(1) how do you change to get T^2 = ?
(2) And then how (1) to get g = ?

Here's what I've tried, but I'm not sure if they are correct:
(1) T^2 = 4π^2 x (2L/3g)
(2) g = [4π^2 x (2L/T^2)] ÷ 3

(3) The experiment is to find the relationship between length of rod, L and period, T, for a rigid pendulum (i.e rod) hooked onto a stand. When we plot the transformed data onto a graph it should be L vs T^2, but the formula in (2) as I've tried above give 2L/T^2 not L/T^2 as given as the gradient of my graph. So how would I use the gradient to put into the formula (2) to get g (gravity) which should be 9.81ms^-2? Do I double my gradient and substitute that as 2L/T^2?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you should double your gradient and substitute that as 2L/T^2. Once you have done that, you can solve for g by rearranging the formula to get g = [4π^2 x (2L/T^2)] ÷ 3.

Related to Using the formula for a rigid pendulum.

What is a rigid pendulum?

A rigid pendulum is a simple pendulum that consists of a mass suspended from a fixed point by a string or rod. The length of the string or rod remains constant, making it a rigid object.

What is the formula for a rigid pendulum?

The formula for a rigid pendulum is T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period of the pendulum, L is the length of the string or rod, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How do you use the formula for a rigid pendulum?

To use the formula for a rigid pendulum, you need to know the length of the string or rod and the acceleration due to gravity at the location where the pendulum is being used. Then, you can plug those values into the formula to calculate the period of the pendulum.

What factors can affect the period of a rigid pendulum?

The period of a rigid pendulum can be affected by the length of the string or rod, the mass of the object, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also have an impact on the period.

Why is the formula for a rigid pendulum important?

The formula for a rigid pendulum is important because it allows us to calculate the period of a pendulum without having to measure it directly. This can be helpful in many scientific and engineering applications, such as designing pendulum clocks or studying the effects of gravity on different objects.