Set of cluster points being closed

In summary: Suppose that {y_n} converges to y. We know that each {y_n} is a cluster point of the sequence {x_n}, so each y_i is arbitrarily close to some x_j. We also know that {x_n} converges to x, so x is a cluster point of {y_n}. Since {y_n} converges to y, it follows that y is a cluster point of {x_n}.
supertopolo

Homework Statement

(X,d) metric space, we have a sequence xn from n=1 to infinity
G is a subset of X containing all cluster points of sequence xn.
need to show that G is closed.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to show that X\G is open. so take any point c in X\G,
there exists an r>0 s.t. B(c;r) is contained in X\G.
But I can't show how to do this.

There might be another way to do this is that,
if yn from n=1 to infinity is a convergen sequnce in G,
then its limit is contained in G. But how could we construct
such sequence, and show that its limit lies within G?

need help pls. thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If p is a cluster point of {xn}, then, given any r, there exist an xn within distance r of p.

If p is in X\G, then p is NOT a cluster point and so that is not true for some r. Now show that there is no member of G within distance r/2 of p.

I had a problem with wording of the question. C is a subset of X containing only the cluster points of the sequence {xn}. C doesn't contain any other elements.

You can show C is closed by showing it's complement is open. Isn't that what you are trying to do?

yes. but from what HallsofIvy said "Now show that there is no member of G within distance r/2 of p." I don't understand why this had to hold, and if it holds, i don't understand how that will make X\C be open.

The C's and G's are getting a little confused here. They are the same thing, yes? Halls is saying to take p to be an element of X/G. If you can show there is an open ball around any such p which is in X/G, then X/G is open. Isn't it?

Small point but G must be the set of cluster points, not 'a set containing the cluster points'.

Suppose {y_n} is a sequence of elements in G, and that {y_n} converges to y. We need to show that y is in G.

Remember that each {y_n} is a cluster point of the sequence {x_n}, so each y_i is arbitrarily close to some x_j. Now fill in the details.

Related to Set of cluster points being closed

1. What is a set of cluster points?

A set of cluster points, also known as a limit set, is a set of values that a sequence of points within a larger set converge to. These points may or may not be included in the original set, but they represent points that are infinitely close to the points in the sequence.

2. How is a set of cluster points different from a limit point?

A limit point is a point that is infinitely close to a set, while a set of cluster points represents all the possible limit points of a sequence within a set. In other words, a limit point is a single point while a set of cluster points is a collection of points.

3. Why is it important for a set of cluster points to be closed?

A set of cluster points being closed means that all the limit points of a sequence within the set are contained within the set. This is important because it allows for the sequence to converge to a point within the set, ensuring that the set is a complete and continuous set of values.

4. How can I determine if a set of cluster points is closed?

To determine if a set of cluster points is closed, you can use the definition of a closed set which states that a set is closed if it contains all of its limit points. In other words, if all the possible limit points of a sequence within the set are also included in the set, then the set is closed.

5. What are some real-world applications of sets of cluster points?

Sets of cluster points are commonly used in many areas of mathematics, such as real analysis, topology, and complex analysis. They are also used in physics and engineering to model systems that involve continuous values and limits, such as fluid dynamics and electrical circuits.