Separation of variables technique

In summary, the conversation discusses techniques for obtaining an explicit solution for the equations u=1/2E^2, v=1/2B^2, and ∂L/∂u ∂L/∂v = -1. The author suggests using separation of variables in particular coordinate systems, and gives an example of a solution that separates multiplicatively in (u,v) coordinates. The conversation also mentions how mathematicians use different methods and tricks to find solutions, and provides examples from other mathematicians such as Gauss and Ramanujan. The conversation concludes with a discussion of a specific method used to solve the equation, and references a book for further reading.
PhyAmateur
If $$u=\frac{1}{2} E^2$$ and $$v=\frac{1}{2}B^2$$

and we have that $$\frac{\partial L}{\partial u} \frac{\partial L}{\partial v} = -1$$

The author says: to obtain explicit solution of the above, one must resort to techniques such as separation of variables in particular coordinate systems. For example, if one supposes that the solution separates multiplicatively in (u,v) coordinates one obtains:

$$L = ± \sqrt{\alpha - \beta E^2}\sqrt{\gamma - \delta B^2}$$ where $$\beta \gamma =1$$

How was this obtained? I didn't get this method of integration?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sometimes mathematicians pull these out of a hat. The fact that it works is the important thing and to remember the trick.

I saw one recently in deriving the integral with x^n*e^(-x) dx where the author differentiated the constant to manipulate the integral into an easily integrable form. It was quite cool and I had never seen its like before. I had to wrestle with it for awhile before I accepted it.

http://www.physics.miami.edu/~nearing/mathmethods/mathematical_methods-three.pdf

see section 1.2 on Parametric Differentiation

I do not know how this is related to the equation I have?

It is another example of a mathematical trick.

There does not have to be a clear way to find those approaches. You can try many of them until one works. Then you throw away the 100 failed attempts and take the one that worked, which looks like magic to others afterwards ("how did he come up with that formula?").
With experience, you can save some time and find good approaches faster.

Likes John M. Carr and PhyAmateur
jedishrfu said:
Sometimes mathematicians pull these out of a hat. The fact that it works is the important thing and to remember the trick.
They like to make it look like they magically pulled it out of a hat. Actually it is the result of "trying one thing after another" until something finally works!

Likes John M. Carr and jedishrfu
HallsofIvy said:
They like to make it look like they magically pulled it out of a hat. Actually it is the result of "trying one thing after another" until something finally works!

Yes, I heard Gauss was famous for this. His proofs were so polished that no one could figure out how he arrived at the conclusion.

A similar case could be made for Ramanujan where he derived so many conjectures based on an old British math book:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synopsis_of_Pure_Mathematics

This is a first order non-linear pde, it may look more familiar if you write it like

[itex] \tfrac{ \partial z}{\partial u} \tfrac{ \partial z}{\partial v} = \tfrac{ \partial z}{\partial (\tfrac{1}{2}x^2)} \tfrac{ \partial z}{\partial (\tfrac{1}{2}y^2)} = (\tfrac{1}{x}\tfrac{ \partial z}{\partial x})(\tfrac{1}{y} \tfrac{ \partial z}{ \partial y}) = \tfrac{1}{xy}\tfrac{ \partial z}{\partial x} \tfrac{ \partial z}{ \partial y} = - 1 \rightarrow = \tfrac{ \partial z}{\partial x} \tfrac{ \partial z}{\partial y} = - xy[/itex]

with z = L, E = x, B = y.

Here are examples on how to deal with these in general

In this case there is another method being used, that of assuming a separable solution from the get-go, but it can also be solved with those methods in the videos. It's most definitely not a trick it's a standard method of solution with a nice geometric interpretation. Let this be a lesson never to accept the word 'trick' again ;)

You basically just write L = f(u)g(v) and plug it into (dL/du)(dL/dv) = - 1 to get g(v)[dg/dv] = - 1/f(u)[df/du] and since both sides of this are equal to two different functions depending on two different variables, both have to be equal to a constant, i.e.
[itex]g(v)[dg/dv] = C \rightarrow gdg = Cdv \rightarrow (1/2)g^2 = D + Cv \rightarrow g = \sqrt{\gamma - 2\delta v}= \sqrt{\gamma - \delta B^2}[/itex]
and similarly for the other side, exact same method which gives you the same form of solution so you get the full solution you were given.

Elsgoltz - Partial Differential Equations & the Calculus of Variations has a good chapter on all this.

Related to Separation of variables technique

1. What is the separation of variables technique?

The separation of variables technique is a mathematical method used to solve differential equations by separating the variables into individual functions and then solving each part separately. This technique is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving variables that are dependent on multiple factors.

2. How does the separation of variables technique work?

The separation of variables technique works by assuming that the solution to a differential equation can be represented as a product of two functions, each of which depends on only one of the variables. These two functions are then substituted into the original equation, resulting in two separate equations which can be solved independently. The solutions to these two equations are then combined to give the overall solution to the original equation.

3. When is the separation of variables technique used?

The separation of variables technique is commonly used to solve linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It is also used in cases where the variables can be separated into distinct functions, such as in problems involving heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics.

4. What are the advantages of using the separation of variables technique?

The separation of variables technique is advantageous because it can simplify complex differential equations into more manageable parts, making them easier to solve. It also allows for the use of known mathematical methods to solve each part separately, reducing the overall complexity of the problem.

5. Are there any limitations to the separation of variables technique?

Yes, the separation of variables technique can only be applied to certain types of differential equations where the variables can be separated into distinct functions. It is also limited to linear equations with constant coefficients, and may not be applicable to nonlinear or time-varying equations. Additionally, the technique may not always yield a complete solution, and further analysis or numerical methods may be required.