Separation of variables question

In summary, the conversation is about solving a separable equation and finding the appropriate integration constants. The initial attempt at a solution is incorrect, and the correct method involves finding the constants a and b before applying the logarithmic rule. The conversation also touches on the use of integration constants and their relation to the final solution.
JamesGoh

Homework Statement

Solve the following separable equation

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{y}{x(x-1)}[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\int\frac{1}{x}dx=ln(x)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

See attachment

Im getting [itex]y=(\frac{x-1}{x})^{c}[/itex] as my answer when in fact the answer the tutor gave is [itex]y=c(\frac{x-1}{x})[/itex]

not sure what I am missing

Attachments

• q2b.pdf
    495.4 KB · Views: 169
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand why you say that:
[itex]\int\frac{dx}{x(1-x)} = \int \frac{cdx}{1-x}- \int \frac{cdx}{x}[/itex]

What is this c?
You should be writing:
[itex]\int\frac{dx}{x(1-x)} = \int (\frac{a}{1-x} + \frac{b}{x})dx[/itex]
and find the appropriate a and b.

Tomer said:
I don't understand why you say that:
[itex]\int\frac{dx}{x(1-x)} = \int \frac{cdx}{1-x}- \int \frac{cdx}{x}[/itex]

What is this c?
You should be writing:
[itex]\int\frac{dx}{x(1-x)} = \int (\frac{a}{1-x} + \frac{b}{x})dx[/itex]
and find the appropriate a and b.

c is a constant value

a and b would be the same value, since the numerator on the [itex]\int\frac{dx}{x(1-x)} [/itex] is 1

you just have to treat [itex] (\frac{a}{1-x} + \frac{b}{x}) [/itex] like adding fractions and you'll realize why I simply put c on the top of both fractions

So if you know c = 1, why do you keep on dragging it?
It's not the "c" in the final answer.
The "c" in the final answer comes as a result of the integration constant.

[itex]\int \frac{dx}{x(x-1)} = ln(\frac{x}{x-1}) + C[/itex]

EDIT: I just reread your post - maybe you weren't aware that your c=1? Of course I realize that a and b have the same values (actually opposite values) - but you should also notice that a = -b = 1.

Last edited:
You added a false constant and omitted the actual constant.

dy/y=dx/[x(x-1)]
look like log write as log
d log(y)=d log(1-1/x)
integrate
y=C (1-1/x)

1/[x(x-1)]=1/(x-1)-1/x=(1/x)[1/(1-1/x)-(1-1/x)/(1-1/x)]
=(1/x^2)/(1-1/x)=(1-1/x)'/(1-1/x)=d log(1-1/x)
or
1/[x(x-1)]=1/(x-1)-1/x=d log(x-1)-d log(x)=d log(1-1/x)

Tomer said:
So if you know c = 1, why do you keep on dragging it?
It's not the "c" in the final answer.
The "c" in the final answer comes as a result of the integration constant.

[itex]\int \frac{dx}{x(x-1)} = ln(\frac{x}{x-1}) + C[/itex]

EDIT: I just reread your post - maybe you weren't aware that your c=1? Of course I realize that a and b have the same values (actually opposite values) - but you should also notice that a = -b = 1.

I was aware that c=1 from adding the fractions together

I explored the idea of using integration constant, however I backed out because I wouldn't be able to find an inverse natural log of it.

Im guessing cause C (integration constant ) is an arbitrary number, we can simply rewrite it as ln(C) ?

JamesGoh said:
I was aware that c=1 from adding the fractions together

I explored the idea of using integration constant, however I backed out because I wouldn't be able to find an inverse natural log of it.

Im guessing cause C (integration constant ) is an arbitrary number, we can simply rewrite it as ln(C) ?

You could do that, or you could look at it like this:

[itex]ln(y) = ln(\frac{x}{x-1}) + c => y(x) = e^{ln(\frac{x}{x-1}) + c} =>

y(x) = e^{c}ln(\frac{x}{x-1}) => y(x) = Cln(\frac{x-1}{x})^{-1} =>
y(x) = -Cln(\frac{x-1}{x}) =>
y(x) = Cln(\frac{x-1}{x})[/itex]

The example shows how C can alter it's value (c --> ec --> -ec). However I didn't bother to "rename" it every time, because it's clear that it's just a constant.

You'll always have C popping in a first order PDE, and that's because you'll always have a constant of integration. That's always the source of c.

Related to Separation of variables question

1. What does "separation of variables" mean?

Separation of variables is a mathematical technique used to solve differential equations by breaking down a complex equation into simpler equations that can be solved individually.

2. How does separation of variables work?

The technique involves assuming that the solution to the differential equation can be written as a product of two functions, each of which depends on only one variable. These functions are then substituted into the original equation, resulting in a system of equations that can be solved separately.

3. When is separation of variables used?

Separation of variables is commonly used to solve partial differential equations, which are equations that involve multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is also used in other areas of mathematics and physics, such as in boundary value problems and Fourier series.

4. What types of equations can be solved using separation of variables?

Separation of variables can be used to solve a variety of equations, including linear and nonlinear equations, first-order and higher-order equations, and homogeneous and non-homogeneous equations. However, not all differential equations can be solved using this technique.

5. What are the benefits of using separation of variables?

Using separation of variables can simplify the process of solving differential equations and make them more manageable. It also allows for the use of different techniques for solving the simpler equations, such as integration or substitution, which may be easier to handle than the original equation.