Separation of Variables for a Rocket Launched in a Gravitational Field

In summary, the equation of motion for a rocket launched from rest in a gravitational field can be expressed as m\dot{v} = -\dot{m}v_{ex} - mg, where m is the mass of the rocket, v is its velocity, \dot{m} is the rate at which mass is ejected (fuel), v_{ex} is the exhaust velocity, and g is the gravitational acceleration. By substituting the known relationship \dot{m} = -k (where k is a positive constant) and m = m_{o} - kt, the equation can be solved for v as a function of t using separation of variables. However, further simplification may be needed depending on the relationship between
mar2194

Homework Statement

Taking the equation of motion for a rocket launched from rest in a gravitational field g, [itex] m\dot{v} = -\dot{m}v_{ex} - mg [/itex], and knowing that the rocket ejects mass (fuel) at a constant rate [itex] \dot{m} = -k [/itex] (where k is a positive constant), so that [itex] m = m_{o} - kt [/itex]. Solve the equation [itex] m\dot{v} = -\dot{m}v_{ex} - mg [/itex] for v as a function of t, using separation of variables.

Homework Equations

[tex] m\dot{v} = -\dot{m}v_{ex} - mg [/tex]
[tex] \dot{m} = -k [/tex]
[tex] m = m_{o} - kt [/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've been beating my head at this for a while. It is deceptively simple, and there is probably a simple calculus trick I have forgotten that I need to use to solve this. Here's what I've done so far:

1.) Substituted [itex] m = m_{o} - kt [/itex] for both instances of m, giving:

[tex] (m_{o} - kt)\dot{v} = -\dot{m}v_{ex} - (m_{o} - kt)g [/tex]

2.) Substituted [itex] \dot{m} = -k [/itex], giving:

[tex] m_{o}dv-ktdv+kv_{ex} = -m_{o}g + ktg [/tex]

This is as far as I can get. I can isolate [itex] \dot{v} [/itex] to get this:

[tex] \dot{v}=\frac{kv_{ex}}{m_{o}-kt}-g [/tex]

This doesn't help me much though because I still have [itex] v_{ex} [/itex] on the right side as well as having a less than elegant [itex] m_{o} - kt [/itex] term on the bottom.

Can someone please help me with this separation of variables? Maybe if you can show me the way on this problem you might know of some good online references to practice doing this sort of thing or direct me to a book (I have Stuarts single variable Calculus book from a while ago when I took my 4 semester Calc sequence; time for a refresher maybe?)

Thanks for anyone who can help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
mar2194 said:

Homework Statement

Taking the equation of motion for a rocket launched from rest in a gravitational field g, [itex] m\dot{v} = -\dot{m}v_{ex} - mg [/itex], and knowing that the rocket ejects mass (fuel) at a constant rate [itex] \dot{m} = -k [/itex] (where k is a positive constant), so that [itex] m = m_{o} - kt [/itex]. Solve the equation [itex] m\dot{v} = -\dot{m}v_{ex} - mg [/itex] for v as a function of t, using separation of variables.

Homework Equations

[tex] m\dot{v} = -\dot{m}v_{ex} - mg [/tex]
[tex] \dot{m} = -k [/tex]
[tex] m = m_{o} - kt [/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've been beating my head at this for a while. It is deceptively simple, and there is probably a simple calculus trick I have forgotten that I need to use to solve this. Here's what I've done so far:

1.) Substituted [itex] m = m_{o} - kt [/itex] for both instances of m, giving:

[tex] (m_{o} - kt)\dot{v} = -\dot{m}v_{ex} - (m_{o} - kt)g [/tex]

2.) Substituted [itex] \dot{m} = -k [/itex], giving:

[tex] m_{o}dv-ktdv+kv_{ex} = -m_{o}g + ktg [/tex]

This is as far as I can get. I can isolate [itex] \dot{v} [/itex] to get this:

[tex] \dot{v}=\frac{kv_{ex}}{m_{o}-kt}-g [/tex]

This doesn't help me much though because I still have [itex] v_{ex} [/itex] on the right side as well as having a less than elegant [itex] m_{o} - kt [/itex] term on the bottom.

Can someone please help me with this separation of variables? Maybe if you can show me the way on this problem you might know of some good online references to practice doing this sort of thing or direct me to a book (I have Stuarts single variable Calculus book from a while ago when I took my 4 semester Calc sequence; time for a refresher maybe?)

Thanks for anyone who can help me.

What's the relationship between v and [itex] v_{ex} [/itex], if any?

Last edited:

Related to Separation of Variables for a Rocket Launched in a Gravitational Field

What is separation of variables?

Separation of variables is a mathematical technique used to solve differential equations by separating the dependent variables into simpler functions that can be solved individually.

Why is separation of variables used in rocket launch calculations?

Separation of variables is used in rocket launch calculations because it allows us to simplify the complex equations that govern the motion of a rocket in a gravitational field, making them easier to solve and understand.

What is the role of gravity in separation of variables for a rocket launch?

Gravity plays a crucial role in separation of variables for a rocket launch as it is the force that governs the motion of the rocket. By separating the variables, we can better understand the effects of gravity on the rocket's trajectory.

Can separation of variables be used for rocket launches on other planets?

Yes, separation of variables can be used for rocket launches on other planets as long as the gravitational field is known and the equations of motion can be separated into simpler functions.

Are there any limitations to using separation of variables for rocket launch calculations?

Yes, there are limitations to using separation of variables for rocket launch calculations. It may not be applicable for more complex systems or when the equations of motion cannot be separated into simpler functions. Additionally, it may not take into account other factors such as air resistance or external forces.