A rocket needs to hover stationary over the ground

In summary: Just keep practicing and asking questions when you need clarification or help. You're doing great so far!In summary, we discussed the problem of a rocket with initial mass ##m_o## and constant exhaust velocity ##v_{ex}## needing to hover just above the ground, while burning no more than a mass ##\lambda m_o## of its fuel. We used the equation $$\dot p = m dv + dm v_{ex} = F^{ext} dt$$ to find the time it can hover for and solved for the equation $$t = \frac {-v_{ex}} g \ln{(1-\lambda)}$$ which gave a more realistic answer of 32.22 seconds when fuel equal to 10% of the original
DanielA

Homework Statement

A rocket (initial mass ##m_o##, constant exhaust velocity ##v_{ex}## needs to use its engines to hover stationary, just above the ground.
a) If it can afford to burn no more than a mass ##\lambda m_o## of its fuel (##\lambda \lt##), for how long can it hover?
b) If ##v_{ex} = 3000 m/s ~\text{and} \lambda \approx 0.10## for how long could the rocket hover just above the Earth's surface?

Homework Equations

The question didn't give any explicit equations, but the question should use $$\dot p = m dv + dm v_{ex} = F^{ext} dt $$ where ##dm v_{ext} = thrust##
which I believe is the rocket equation for a rocket moving vertically. I got it from my book, though they continued the example with no gravity or air ressitance so ##F^{ext} = 0##

The Attempt at a Solution

To begin, I believe I have a finished solution, but since I'm used to having a professor around to check my work, I'm not confident I'm doing it right as it seems too simple.
a)
Since there is no motion (and we haven't learned air resistance for a rocket) the only force ##F^{ext}## is gravity and ##F^{ext} = mg## where m is the mass of the rocket.

So, we want to solve for t. Let's use my equation above and integrate it .
$$
mgdt = mdv + dm v_{ex}
\\ \int_{v_0}^v dv = \int_0^t g\, dt - v_{ex} \int_{m_0}^m {\frac {dm} m}
\\ v-v_0 = gt - v_{ex} \ln {\frac m {m_0}}
\\ v = 0, v_0 = 0, m = \lambda m_0
\\ \text{since the rocket is motionless throughout all of this and the maximum mass loss is given in the question}
\\ t = \frac {v_{ex}} g \ln (\lambda)
$$
b)
This part is just plug and chug using the above equation. My answer is 704.15 seconds (g = -9.81 m/s), which seems excessively long to me, but I don't have any frame of reference on what is realistic for this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

DanielA said:
$$ v-v_0 = gt - v_{ex} \ln {\frac m {m_0}}$$
There is a sign problem here. The left side is zero. But the right side is positive overall since ##gt## is positive and ##-v_{ex} \ln {\frac m {m_0}}## is also positive. Did you take into account the direction of the external force?

Also, the final mass is not ##\lambda m_0##. Review how ##\lambda## is defined in the problem statement.

TSny said:
Welcome to PF!There is a sign problem here. The left side is zero. But the right side is positive overall since ##gt## is positive and ##-v_{ex} \ln {\frac m {m_0}}## is also positive. Did you take into account the direction of the external force?

Also, the final mass is not ##\lambda m_0##. Review how ##\lambda## is defined in the problem statement.
I now made ##F^{ext}## negative at the beginning (##F^{ext}## = -mg) to account for the negative direction and changed the final mass to ##m_0 - \lambda m_0## since that is the final mass of the rocket after losing ##\lambda m_0## fuel. My answer changed to $$t = \frac {-v_{ex}} g \ln{(1-\lambda)}$$
This gives a much more reasonable 32.22 seconds of hovering when fuel equal to 10% of the original rocket mass is used

Just a thought... The numbers might be available from the Apollo 11 moon landing. They had to "hover" a bit longer than expected and almost ran out of fuel.

DanielA said:
I now made ##F^{ext}## negative at the beginning (##F^{ext}## = -mg) to account for the negative direction and changed the final mass to ##m_0 - \lambda m_0## since that is the final mass of the rocket after losing ##\lambda m_0## fuel. My answer changed to $$t = \frac {-v_{ex}} g \ln{(1-\lambda)}$$
This gives a much more reasonable 32.22 seconds of hovering when fuel equal to 10% of the original rocket mass is used
All of this looks correct to me.

CWatters said:
Just a thought... The numbers might be available from the Apollo 11 moon landing. They had to "hover" a bit longer than expected and almost ran out of fuel.
The question actually had a bit about how a similar situation occurred to Apollo 11. However, he specifically said it was similar in the question. The landing in Apollo 11 took 90 seconds which is much longer than my answer here

TSny said:
All of this looks correct to me.
Thank you. I hope over time I'll gain more confidence in my ability. I'll end up having many more questions in the future though so look out for them

DanielA said:
Thank you. I hope over time I'll gain more confidence in my ability. I'll end up having many more questions in the future though so look out for them
Sounds good!

Related to A rocket needs to hover stationary over the ground

1. How does a rocket hover stationary over the ground?

A rocket hovers stationary over the ground by using its thrust to counteract the force of gravity. The rocket's engines generate enough force to lift the weight of the rocket and keep it suspended in the air.

2. What is the purpose of a rocket hovering over the ground?

A rocket may need to hover over the ground in order to perform tasks such as launching a satellite into orbit, conducting scientific experiments, or transporting supplies to a space station. It allows the rocket to stay in a specific location without needing to constantly move or orbit.

3. How does a rocket maintain its position while hovering?

A rocket maintains its position while hovering by using thrusters to make small adjustments to its angle and direction of thrust. This allows the rocket to counteract any external forces, such as wind, and stay in a stable position.

4. What factors affect a rocket's ability to hover over the ground?

The weight, size, and design of the rocket, as well as the strength and direction of its thrust, all play a role in a rocket's ability to hover over the ground. External factors such as wind or atmospheric conditions can also impact a rocket's ability to maintain a stable hover.

5. How is a rocket able to control its hover?

A rocket is able to control its hover through the use of onboard computers and sensors. These systems monitor the rocket's position and make small adjustments to its thrust and direction to maintain a stable hover. Pilots or ground control may also provide manual input to control the hover if needed.