Separating Variables: Solving Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for separating variables in a formula and determining the solution of a differential equation. The use of substitution and integrating factor is suggested, and the value of the constant can be determined with additional conditions.
Pietair
Good day,

I have to separate the variables of the formula (dy/dx) + 1 = - (y/x)
so I can determine the solution of the differential equation.

I get:
(dy/dx) + 1 = - (y/x)
(dy/dx) = - (y/x) - 1
(dy) = (- (y/x) - 1)dx

Though I cannot get rid of the y at the side of dx...

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can solve it by separation of variables.

Right, thanks. Would it be possible by using Laplace transform?

possibly, but it would be much easier to use euler's solution to first order linear differential equations.

I already did, but now I want to check the accuracy of the Euler's solution for this differential equation.

I recommend the substitution u= y/x. y= xu so y'= xu'+ u and the equation y'= -y/x- 1 becomes xu'+ u= -u- 1 or x du/dx= -2u-1 which is separable.

an integrating factor would work as well.

HallsofIvy said:
I recommend the substitution u= y/x. y= xu so y'= xu'+ u and the equation y'= -y/x- 1 becomes xu'+ u= -u- 1 or x du/dx= -2u-1 which is separable.
Thanks!

an integrating factor would work as well.
Thanks, I get:

y(x) = (c/x) - (x/2)

How can I determine the value of the constant now?

Are you asking permission?:wink: Certainly if you have some additional condition, you can use that to find c.

Related to Separating Variables: Solving Differential Equations

1. What is separation of variables?

Separation of variables is a mathematical technique used to solve partial differential equations. It involves separating a multi-variable function into simpler single-variable functions, which can then be solved individually.

2. When is separation of variables used?

Separation of variables is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to solve problems involving continuous systems. It is particularly useful in solving boundary value problems, where the values of a function are known at certain boundary points.

3. How does separation of variables work?

The technique involves assuming that the multi-variable function can be written as a product of simpler single-variable functions. By substituting this assumed form into the partial differential equation and rearranging terms, the equation can be separated into individual equations for each variable. These equations can then be solved to find the solution to the original problem.

4. What are the limitations of separation of variables?

Separation of variables is limited to linear partial differential equations with constant coefficients. It also relies on the assumption that the multi-variable function can be written as a product of simpler functions, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it may not always provide a complete solution to the problem, as some boundary conditions may not be satisfied.

5. Are there any real-world applications of separation of variables?

Yes, separation of variables is widely used in fields such as fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in solving problems related to diffusion, wave propagation, and other physical phenomena. In engineering, it is often used to model and analyze systems with multiple variables, such as in the design of heat exchangers or electronic circuits.