Separating operators into classical + quantum

In summary, operators can be classified into classical and quantum categories. Classical operators are those that operate on macroscopic objects and follow classical mechanics, while quantum operators are used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of microscopic particles. These operators have different properties and behaviors, with classical operators being deterministic and quantum operators being probabilistic. They play a crucial role in understanding and studying the behavior of physical systems at different scales.
DrClaude
Mentor
In the paper http://link.aps.org/doi/10.1103/PhysRevA.85.062329, the authors separate the position and momentum operators into classical motion and quantum fluctuations:
[tex]\hat{X}_i \equiv \bar{X}_i + \hat{q}_i; \quad \hat{P}_i \equiv \bar{P}_i + \hat{\pi}_i[/tex]
Can someone point me to a reference rigorously explaining why and how this can be done?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give more details? There's no way to tell from what you have written what is going on.

Bill_K said:
There's no way to tell from what you have written what is going on.
That is exactly the problem I have.

Apart from quoting the article I linked to, there is not much more I can do. [itex]\bar{X}_i[/itex] is the "classical position" of the [itex]i[/itex]th particle, but I do not understand how to express the operators [itex]\bar{X}[/itex], [itex]\hat{q}[/itex], etc.

DrClaude said:
That is exactly the problem I have.

Apart from quoting the article I linked to, there is not much more I can do. [itex]\bar{X}_i[/itex] is the "classical position" of the [itex]i[/itex]th particle, but I do not understand how to express the operators [itex]\bar{X}[/itex], [itex]\hat{q}[/itex], etc.

What I've seen some people do in the path-integral formulation of quantum mechanics is to split the path into a sum of the classical path + a quantum correction. I assume that you can do the same thing with operators in the Heisenberg picture (where instead of operators that are time-independent and states that are time-dependent, it's the other way around).

Related to Separating operators into classical + quantum

1. What is the difference between classical and quantum operators?

Classical operators operate on classical systems, while quantum operators operate on quantum systems. Classical systems are described by classical mechanics, while quantum systems are described by quantum mechanics. Classical operators follow the rules of classical mechanics, while quantum operators follow the rules of quantum mechanics.

2. How are classical and quantum operators related?

Quantum operators can be seen as a generalization of classical operators. In the classical limit, where quantum effects become negligible, quantum operators reduce to classical operators. However, in the quantum regime, classical operators are not sufficient to describe the behavior of a system and quantum operators must be used.

3. Can classical and quantum operators be used interchangeably?

No, classical and quantum operators have different properties and operate on different types of systems. While classical operators can be used to describe classical systems, they cannot fully describe quantum systems. Quantum operators must be used to accurately describe the behavior of quantum systems.

4. What are some examples of classical and quantum operators?

Examples of classical operators include position, momentum, and energy. Examples of quantum operators include the Hamiltonian, the angular momentum operator, and the spin operator. These operators have different properties and behave differently depending on whether they are operating on classical or quantum systems.

5. How are classical and quantum operators used in modern science and technology?

Classical operators are used in classical mechanics to describe the behavior of macroscopic systems such as cars, planets, and machines. Quantum operators are used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of microscopic systems such as atoms, particles, and molecules. They are essential in modern science and technology, particularly in fields such as quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum communication.