Question about Operators in Quantum Mechanics

In summary: This then gives you the momentum operator in the position representation, since$$u_p(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \hbar}} \exp(\mathrm{i} x...x^{p-1}/2\hbar) \rangle.$$This then gives you the momentum operator in the position representation, since$$u_p(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \hbar}} \exp(\mathrm{i} x...x^{p-1}/2\hbar) \rangle.$$
Another
I study on quantum mechanics and I have question about operator.
In one dimension. How do we know ## \hat{x} = x## and ## \hat{p}_{x} = -i \bar{h} \frac{d}{dx} ##

When schrodinger was creating an equation, which later called "the schrodinger equation".
How does he know momentum operator equal to ## -i \bar{h} \frac{d}{dx} ## and position operator ## \hat{x} ## equal to ## x ## ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Another said:
When schrodinger was creating an equation, which later called "the schrodinger equation".
How does he know momentum operator equal to ## -i \bar{h} \frac{d}{dx} ## and position operator ## \hat{x} ## equal to ## x ## ?
It was part of Schrödinger's insight. It earned him a Nobel prize!

Likes bhobba, dextercioby and Another
Here's a derivation of the momentum operator that may help:

Likes Another
A. Neumaier said:
It was part of Schrödinger's insight. It earned him a Nobel prize!

For some of the gory detail see here:
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1204.0653.pdf

It basically was inspired guess work - he even made errors that canceled themselves out.

In modern times the correct derivation is from symmetry as you will find in Ballentine. At least in part Wigner got a Nobel for that.

Thanks
Bill

Likes Another
You can regard the momentum operator as generator of spatial translation group.

Likes Another and bhobba
Another said:
I study on quantum mechanics and I have question about operator.
In one dimension. How do we know ## \hat{x} = x## and ## \hat{p}_{x} = -i \bar{h} \frac{d}{dx} ##

The question is, from what you start. A modern approach to QT is to start in the "representation free" way with bras and kets (i.e., Dirac's approach to QT, which is the most simple and lucid of the three historical approaches; the other two are wave mechanics (Schrödinger 1926) and matrix mechanics (Heisenberg, Born, and Jordan 1925)).

If you start with the representation free approach for a particle moving along a line (to keep the notation simple; there's no difficulty to extend this approach to 3D motion of a particle), the only thing you have is the Heisenberg algebra (which should be more justly called Born algebra for that matter), i.e., the commutation relation
$$[\hat{x},\hat{p}]=\mathrm{i} \hbar \hat{1}.$$
This commutation relation can be guessed from the fact that in classical Hamiltonian mechanics momentum is associated with spatial translations thanks to Noether's theorem, i.e., momentum is the generator for spatial translation symmetry transformations.

This also hints at how to construct the Hilbert space in the position representation which leads to the formulation of non-relativistic QT of a single (scalar) particle in terms of Schrödinger's wave mechanics. This comes about in the following way: Suppose ##|x=0 \rangle##, i.e., the eigenvector of the position operator with eigenvalue 0 exists. Then it's easy to prove via the commutation relation above that
$$|x \rangle=\exp(-\mathrm{i} x \hat{p}/\hbar) |x=0 \rangle.$$
is an eigenvector of ##\hat{x}## with the arbitrary real eigenvalue ##x##.

The sketch of the proof goes as follows. First you can easily show by induction that for any power of ##\hat{p}## you have
$$[\hat{x},\hat{p}^k]=\mathrm{i} k \hbar \hat{p}^{k-1},$$
and applying this to the power series of the exponential, you get
$$[\hat{x},\exp(-\mathrm{i} x \hat{p}/\hbar)]=\mathrm{i} \hbar \partial_p \exp(-\mathrm{i} x \hat{p}/\hbar)=x \exp(-\mathrm{i} x \hat{p}/\hbar).$$
This now implies the proof of the above claim, because
$$\hat{x} \exp(-\mathrm{i} x \hat{p}/\hbar) |x=0 \rangle = \left \{ [\hat{x},\exp(-\mathrm{i} x \hat{p}/\hbar)]+\exp(-\mathrm{i} x \hat{p}/\hbar) \hat{x} \right \} |x=0 \rangle= x \exp(-\mathrm{i} x \hat{p}/\hbar) |x=0 \rangle$$.
We thus can define the position eigenvectors by the unitary translation operators
$$|x \rangle=\exp(-\mathrm{i} x \hat{p}/\hbar) |x=0 \rangle,
\quad \langle x |=\langle x=0| \exp(+\mathrm{i} x \hat{p}/\hbar).$$
Then it's also clear how the momentum operator acts on the position representation of the state, i.e., the wave function
$$\hat{p} \psi(x) = \langle x|\hat{p} \psi \rangle=\langle x=0|\exp(\mathrm{i} x \hat{p}) \hat{p} |\psi \rangle =
-\mathrm{i} \hbar \partial_x \langle x=0|\exp(\mathrm{i} x \hat{p}) |\psi \rangle
=-\mathrm{i} \hbar \partial_x \langle x|\psi \rangle = -\mathrm{i} \hbar \partial_x \psi(x).$$
What also immediately follows is the momentum eigenfunction in position representation
$$u_p(x)=\langle x|p \rangle=\langle x=0|\exp(\mathrm{i} x \hat{p}/\hbar) p \rangle = \langle x=0|p \rangle \exp(\mathrm{i} x p/\hbar).$$
The undetermined factor can be fixed by the usual normalization condition
$$\langle p|p' \rangle=\delta(p-p')$$
which, up to an unimportant phase factor leads to
$$u_p(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \hbar}} \exp(\mathrm{i} x p/\hbar).$$

Likes Another, dextercioby and bhobba

Related to Question about Operators in Quantum Mechanics

1. What are operators in quantum mechanics?

Operators are mathematical symbols used to describe physical quantities in quantum mechanics. They represent observable properties of a quantum system, such as position, momentum, and energy.

2. How are operators used in quantum mechanics?

Operators are used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a quantum system. They act on quantum states to produce new states, which represent the possible outcomes of a measurement.

3. What is the significance of Hermitian operators in quantum mechanics?

Hermitian operators are operators that represent observables in quantum mechanics. They have the property that their eigenvalues (possible measurement outcomes) are real, and their eigenvectors (associated quantum states) are orthogonal. This makes them crucial for making predictions in quantum mechanics.

4. How do operators relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics states that certain pairs of observables, such as position and momentum, cannot be measured simultaneously with perfect accuracy. Operators are used to mathematically represent these observables, and the commutation relation between them determines the degree of uncertainty in their measurements.

5. Can operators be used to solve problems in quantum mechanics?

Yes, operators play a key role in solving problems in quantum mechanics. They are used in mathematical equations, such as the Schrödinger equation, to describe the evolution of a quantum system over time. They are also used to calculate the probabilities of different measurement outcomes and make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems.