Separate Drag cofficient to 2 coefficient

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties of measuring the drag coefficient for the Ahmed Body and the challenges of separating it into its components, pressure and skin friction drag. The individual is seeking help in finding a way to measure these components separately using different instruments. The conversation also mentions the drag equation and the use of an equivalent drag-area coefficient in calculating drag coefficients for automobiles.
Multiface

Homework Statement

I've been given the mission to find out the drag coefficient for the Ahmed Body. The drag coefficient itself it too hard to measure. The problem for me is to find a way to separate the drag coefficient to Pressure Drag coefficient and Skin friction coefficient.

My question is: How can I with the help of different instruments measure Pressure Drag c. and the Skin Friction Drag separately??

Thanks for answers

MultifaceF = C * ρ * A * v^2

F = Drag force
C = Drag coefficient
A = Area projectet in the flow-direction
v = velocity of fluid

Physics news on Phys.org
The drag equation is F = 1/2(C)(ρ)(A)v^2 (you left off the one-half).

I would think it would be very difficult to separate the pressure and skin friction drags. I believe in calculating various automobile drag coefficients, which include both effects, that often an equivalent drag-area coefficient (C*A) term is used, where A is more than just the projected frontal area. But I/m unsure.

Related to Separate Drag cofficient to 2 coefficient

What is the meaning of "separate drag coefficient to 2 coefficient"?

The drag coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that represents the resistance of an object moving through a fluid. When we say "separate drag coefficient to 2 coefficient", it means breaking down the overall drag coefficient into two separate coefficients: the lift coefficient and the drag coefficient. This allows us to analyze the forces acting on an object from different directions.

Why is it necessary to separate the drag coefficient?

Separating the drag coefficient into two coefficients allows us to gain a better understanding of the aerodynamics of an object. The lift coefficient helps us understand the forces acting on an object perpendicular to the direction of motion, while the drag coefficient helps us understand the forces acting parallel to the direction of motion.

How do you calculate the lift and drag coefficients?

The lift and drag coefficients can be calculated by dividing the lift and drag forces, respectively, by the dynamic pressure of the fluid and the reference area of the object. The dynamic pressure is calculated using the fluid density and the object's velocity.

What factors affect the lift and drag coefficients?

The lift and drag coefficients are affected by various factors such as the shape and size of the object, the fluid density, the object's speed, and the angle of attack (the angle at which the object meets the fluid flow). Changes in any of these factors can alter the lift and drag coefficients and affect the overall aerodynamics of the object.

How are the lift and drag coefficients used in engineering and design?

The lift and drag coefficients are important parameters in the design and engineering of various objects, especially in the fields of aerospace and automotive engineering. They help engineers understand the aerodynamic behavior of objects and make informed decisions about the design and performance of vehicles and structures.