Separable PDE for electric field in a cavity

In summary, the conversation discusses a photo from a book on Laser Physics and three questions related to it. The questions address the notation of "c.c." in the book, why the vector function U is separated into Ux, Uy, and Uz, and the presence of the term \frac{\pi}{L} in the solution of a PDE. The conversation also includes a clarification on the meaning of "c.c." and the use of L in the equation. The origin of the cos function in the solution is also mentioned, although it remains unclear.
gboff21

Homework Statement

Here is a photo of a page in Laser Physics by Hooker:
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s245/sh/2172a4e7-63c7-41a0-a0e7-b1d68ac739fc/7ba12c241f76a317a6dc3f2d6220027a/res/642710b5-9610-4b5b-aef4-c7958297e34d/Snapshot_1.jpg?resizeSmall&width=832

I have 3 questions (I'm a bit rusty after a long summer):
1. Is the "c.c." bascially [itex]\textbf{U}(r) e^{i \omega t}[/itex] or is the U actually U*? (Just checking)

2. Why can't we say [itex] \textbf{U}(r) = X(x)Y(y)Z(z) [/itex] instead of separating it into Ux Uy and Uz?

3. Finally: Having gone through the PDE and got an answer with boundary solutions [itex]\textbf{U}(r)_{x} = 0[/itex] at edges, I don't understand where the [itex]\frac{\pi}{L}[/itex] comes from. The π I know is just put into make the mode numbers simpler later, but how does the L get there?
And how is the x component a cos function? I get a sin!

Thanks for the help! I'm just a bit rusty!

Physics news on Phys.org
Link does not work.

Oh, ok here you go (attached)

Attachments

• Snapshot_1.jpg
    Snapshot_1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 427
the +c.c. simply means "plus the conjugate complex expression", i.e.,
[tex]a+ \text{c.c.}=a+a^*.[/tex]

Likes 1 person
To answer your questions:

1: Yes
2: Note: U (a 3D vector) is a function of r (which contains x, y, and z.)
3: L is the cavity size (some times you will see 2*Pi/L) depending on boundary conditions and such.

Hope this helps!

As for the cos, I am unsure about this as well. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on this matter.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

Related to Separable PDE for electric field in a cavity

1. What is a separable PDE for electric field in a cavity?

A separable partial differential equation (PDE) for electric field in a cavity is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of electric fields in a closed space, such as a cavity or a container. It can be solved using a technique called separation of variables, where the equation is broken down into simpler equations that can be solved separately.

2. Why is the electric field in a cavity important?

The electric field in a cavity is important because it plays a crucial role in many physical phenomena, such as the behavior of electromagnetic waves, the interaction between charged particles, and the behavior of electrical circuits. Understanding and solving the PDE for electric field in a cavity can provide valuable insights into these phenomena and aid in the development of new technologies.

3. How is the separable PDE for electric field in a cavity solved?

The separable PDE for electric field in a cavity is typically solved using the method of separation of variables. This involves breaking down the equation into simpler equations that can be solved separately, and then combining these solutions to obtain the complete solution. This method uses techniques from calculus and linear algebra.

4. What are the applications of the separable PDE for electric field in a cavity?

The separable PDE for electric field in a cavity has various applications in different fields of science and engineering. Some examples include the analysis of electromagnetic waves in waveguides, the design of microwave cavities in particle accelerators, and the simulation of electric fields in electronic devices.

5. Are there any limitations to the separable PDE for electric field in a cavity?

Yes, there are some limitations to the use of the separable PDE for electric field in a cavity. One limitation is that it can only be applied to certain types of cavities with simple geometric shapes. In addition, the method of separation of variables may not work for all types of PDEs, and alternative methods may need to be used in those cases.