EM: Electric field, Two thin rods uniform line charge

In summary, the problem involves two identical thin rods with a uniform line charge distribution. The goal is to calculate the Coulomb force between the two rods when they are collinear and a distance of d apart. The electric field generated by each rod points in opposite directions and is only present in the ##\hat i## direction. The calculation involves finding the electric field at a point on the second rod using the electric field equation for a line charge. Two integrals are needed to calculate the total force on the second rod.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Two identical thin rods of length L carry the same uniform line charge distribution (charge per unit length) of . If the two rods are collinear (aligned along the same line), with a distance of d between their nearest ends, calculate the Coulomb force (magnitude and direction) each rod exerts on the other. Check that your answer makes sense in the limit d >> L.

Homework Equations

Electric field of a line charge
[tex]E(r)=\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int \frac{\lambda (r')}{χ^2}\hat χ dl'[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've set up a diagram of the problem, but this can't be posted here. From the diagram the electric field generated by each line charge points in opposite directions. The electric field is only found in the ##\hat i## direction.

If we calculate the electric field that the first rod from enacts on the second rod we have bounds of integration that go from 0 to L as my origin is placed on (0,0) and the first line charge goes from (0,L).

There is a separation then from (L,L+d) of d. The next rod goes from (L+d, 2L+d).

The problem I am having with this question is understanding what χ represents.
Right now, I have χ = (L+d)-x.
I believe χ to be (the point that we are calculating the electric field at) - (the location of the electric field). ##\hat χ = \hat i##.The integral then sets up as follows

[tex]E_{1 on 2} = \int dE = -\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{Q}{L} \int_0^L \frac{dx}{(L+d-x)^2} \hat i[/tex]

The integral comes out to be ##\frac{1}{d} - \frac{1}{d-x}##.

What am I doing wrong in this calculation? I feel like my χ is off, but I don't logically understand how it would be.

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:
The problem I am having with this question is understanding what χ represents.
##\chi## is the vector pointing from a piece of the rod ##dl^{\prime}## to the point in space where you are calculating the electric field ##\mathbf{E}##.
RJLiberator said:
The integral then sets up as follows

[tex]E_{1 on 2} = \int dE = -\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{Q}{L} \int_0^L \frac{dx}{(L+d-x)^2} \hat i[/tex]
Careful, there is no ##\mathbf{E}_{1on2}##. You can only calculate ##\mathbf{E}## at a point on the second rod. The total force on the second rod is the integral of ##\mathbf{E}## generated by the first rod, acting on each charge element ##dq## of the second rod. This problem requires two different integrals to be done.

Related to EM: Electric field, Two thin rods uniform line charge

1. What is an electric field?

The electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence of an electric charge on other charges in its surrounding space. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the electric field calculated for two thin rods with uniform line charge?

The electric field for two thin rods with uniform line charge can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the electric field at a point in space is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge and inversely proportional to the distance from the charge.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field between two thin rods?

The strength of the electric field between two thin rods is affected by the magnitude of the charges on the rods, the distance between the rods, and the dielectric constant of the medium between the rods.

4. How does the direction of the electric field change between two thin rods?

The direction of the electric field between two thin rods is determined by the direction of the charges on the rods. The electric field lines always point away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

5. What are some real-world applications of electric fields between two thin rods?

Electric fields between two thin rods are used in many everyday devices, such as capacitors, antennas, and sensors. They are also important in understanding and controlling the behavior of charged particles in particle accelerators and plasma physics experiments.