Electric Field of Line Charge with Displaced Origin

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the electric field produced by a uniform charge distribution along the x-axis, and the force on a point charge placed at a distance r from the distribution. The equations E = kq/r^2 and λ = Q/L are used to solve for the electric field and force, respectively. When r is much greater than a, the force approaches that given by two point charges.
Chansu

Homework Statement

Positive charge Q is distributed uniformly along the x-axis from x = 0 to x = a. Determine
a. The electric field produced by the charge distribution Q at points on the positive x-axis where x > a.
b. A point charge q is then placed at x = a + r. Determine force on q due to Q
c. If r >> a, show that the force approaches that given by two point charges.

With the origin being to the left of the point, it is throwing me off quite a bit. I'm not sure if my answers are correct, but I feel like I'm headed in the right direction.

I've attached the diagram as well as mine to this thread. The video below also is extremely relevant.

Homework Equations

E = kq / r2 = k dq / r2

λ = Q / L = dQ / dL

F = qE

x = a + r

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
a. dE = (k dQ) / L2 i^

using λ and solving for dQ,

dE = ∫[(k λ dL) / L2] i^ (from r to x)

taking the integral,

E = [k λ (-L-1)] i^ (from r to x)

E = [k λ(-x-1 + r-1)] i^

E = [k λ(-x-1 + (x-a)-1)] i^ N/C, as long as x > a

b. F = q [k λ(-x-1 + [x-a]-1)] i^

if x = a + r,

F = q [k λ(-[a+r]-1 + [a+r-a]-1)] i^

F = q [k λ(-[a+r]-1 + r-1)] i^ N

c. if r >> a,

F = q k λ [-(a+r)-1 + r-1]

F = q k λ [-r-1 + r-1]

F = q k λ

Attachments

• DSC00159.jpg
    DSC00159.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 566
Physics news on Phys.org
Chansu said:
F = q k λ [-r-1+ r-1]
F = q k λ
The second line does not follow from the first. Indeed, the first line is not helpful. Too much detail has been lost.
Go back to the preceding line and find a more accurate approximation.

Related to Electric Field of Line Charge with Displaced Origin

1. What is an electric field?

The electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force experienced by a charged particle in the presence of other charges. It is represented by a vector quantity and is measured in units of Newtons per Coulomb (N/C).

2. How is the electric field of a line charge with displaced origin calculated?

The electric field of a line charge with displaced origin can be calculated using the formula E = kλ/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), λ is the linear charge density of the line charge, and r is the distance from the line charge to the point where the electric field is being measured.

3. What is a line charge with displaced origin?

A line charge with displaced origin is a distribution of electric charge along a one-dimensional line, where the origin of the coordinate system is shifted away from the line charge. This displacement can affect the calculation of the electric field at certain points in space.

4. How does the electric field of a line charge with displaced origin differ from that of a line charge with no displacement?

The electric field of a line charge with displaced origin will differ from that of a line charge with no displacement at points that are not on the line charge. This is because the displacement of the origin affects the distance between the point and the line charge, which is a crucial factor in the calculation of the electric field.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the electric field of a line charge with displaced origin?

Understanding the electric field of a line charge with displaced origin is important in many practical applications, such as designing electric circuits, analyzing the effects of electric fields on human health, and calculating the forces experienced by charged particles in a charged particle accelerator.