Semi-infinite non-conducting rod

• Thread starter kinof
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rod
In summary, the problem involves finding the electric field E at point P above a nonconducting rod with uniform linear charge density λ, and proving that E makes a 45° angle with the rod regardless of the distance R. The solution involves integrating and evaluating the limits, leading to the result of E = kλ/R and a ratio of 1, proving the 45° angle.
kinof

Homework Statement

A "semi-infinite" nonconducting rod has a uniform linear charge density λ. Show that the electric field E at point P a distance R above one end of the rod makes an angle of 45° with the rod and that this result is independent of the distance R.

Homework Equations

$$\vec{E}=\int \frac{k\lambda }{r^2}dx$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found that $$\vec{E_x}=\frac{-k\lambda}{\sqrt{R^2+x^2}}$$ and $$\vec{E_y}=\frac{k\lambda x}{R\sqrt{R^2+x^2}}$$

I have tried to show that, if Ex and Ey make a 45° angle, then they must be equal, but that leads nowhere. I have tried simply taking the arctan of Ey/Ex, but that leads to -x/R, which doesn't make sense. I have also tried evaluating the integrals at infinity and then using L'Hospital's rule, but it doesn't work for Ey.

Physics news on Phys.org
After integrating, did you evaluate at the limits of integration? ##x## should not appear in the results.

Oh, woops. I got $$\frac{k\lambda}{R}$$ for both. Of course the ratio of these is 1, so the angle is 45 degrees. Thanks.

Looks good!

I would approach this problem by first double-checking the equations and calculations used to find Ex and Ey. I would also make sure that the integrals are set up correctly and that the limits of integration are appropriate for a semi-infinite rod.

After confirming the calculations, I would then consider the geometry of the problem. Since the rod is non-conducting and has a uniform linear charge density, the electric field will be radial and perpendicular to the rod at all points. This means that the angle between the electric field and the rod must be 90°.

To show that the angle between the electric field and the rod is 45°, I would consider the components of the electric field in the x and y directions. Using trigonometry, I would show that the ratio of Ex and Ey is equal to 1, meaning that they are equal in magnitude. This would confirm that the angle between the electric field and the rod is indeed 45°.

Finally, to show that this result is independent of the distance R, I would vary R and recalculate the electric field at point P. If the angle between the electric field and the rod remains 45°, then we can conclude that this result is independent of the distance R.

Overall, approaching this problem with careful consideration of the equations, geometry, and experimental verification would provide a thorough and accurate response as a scientist.

Related to Semi-infinite non-conducting rod

1. What is a semi-infinite non-conducting rod?

A semi-infinite non-conducting rod is a theoretical object used in physics and engineering to model the behavior of infinitely long rods that have one end fixed and the other end extending infinitely. It is assumed to be made of a material that does not conduct electricity, such as wood or plastic.

2. Why is the semi-infinite non-conducting rod useful in scientific research?

The semi-infinite non-conducting rod allows scientists to simplify complex systems and make calculations easier. It is often used in heat transfer and electrical conductivity studies, as well as in optics and electromagnetism.

3. How is the behavior of a semi-infinite non-conducting rod different from that of a fully infinite rod?

A fully infinite rod has no fixed end and extends infinitely in both directions, whereas a semi-infinite non-conducting rod has one fixed end and extends infinitely in only one direction. This difference can affect the boundary conditions and solutions in mathematical models.

4. Can a semi-infinite non-conducting rod exist in reality?

No, a semi-infinite non-conducting rod is a theoretical concept and cannot exist in reality. However, it can be a useful approximation for certain real-world situations, such as a long wire with one end connected to a fixed object.

5. How is the behavior of a semi-infinite non-conducting rod affected by external factors?

The behavior of a semi-infinite non-conducting rod can be affected by external factors such as temperature, electric or magnetic fields, and mechanical stress. These factors can change the boundary conditions and alter the solutions in mathematical models.