Self-studying Physics with a math background

In summary, the speaker is a graduate student in a math program who is interested in self-studying physics. They have taken some basic math classes but their physics background is lacking. They are looking for suggestions on how to approach self-studying physics and want to eventually understand the applications of topology and manifold theory. One suggestion is to start with the book "Computer Methods for Mathematical Calculations" by Forsythe, Malcolm and Moler.
BuriedAlive
Hi everyone,

I've been interested in self-studying physics for a while now but I really have no idea what's the best to tackle first in terms of subject matter (mechanics, e&m, etc.) or what textbooks are conducive to self study. I'm currently a grad student in a math program, and I've taken lots of the basic "abstract math" classes (semester of abstract algebra, semester of topology, semester of diff. geometry, etc.), but my physics background is woefully inadequate. I've taken the year long intro freshman physics sequence for engineers (so I know all about boxes on inclined planes! haha) but that's it. I would like to (eventually) get to the point that I can understand the applications of topology and and manifold theory in physics, but I'm perfectly fine meandering through other branches of physics along the way to take in the sights. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction!

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'd be better off to start from a book that would be a "bridge" between maths and physics.
I would suggest to begin with the following classical book:
"Computer Methods for Mathematical Calculations" by Forsythe, Malcolm and Moler

Related to Self-studying Physics with a math background

1. What is the benefit of having a strong math background when self-studying physics?

A strong math background can be extremely beneficial when self-studying physics because many concepts in physics are heavily dependent on mathematical principles. Understanding mathematical concepts such as calculus, algebra, and trigonometry can make it easier to grasp and apply physics concepts.

2. Can I self-study physics with only a basic math background?

It is possible to self-study physics with a basic math background, but it may be more challenging. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry before attempting to self-study physics. It may also be helpful to brush up on these concepts as you progress through your studies.

3. How should I approach self-studying physics with a math background?

It is important to have a structured plan when self-studying physics. Start by familiarizing yourself with the basic concepts and principles, and then move on to more complex topics. It is also helpful to practice problems and equations to solidify your understanding. Utilizing online resources, textbooks, and seeking help from a tutor or study group can also be beneficial.

4. Can I become proficient in physics through self-study?

Yes, it is possible to become proficient in physics through self-study. However, it may require a lot of dedication, self-motivation, and consistent practice. It is important to set realistic goals and track your progress to stay motivated. Seeking guidance from a teacher or mentor can also be helpful in improving your understanding and skills in physics.

5. Are there any specific resources or materials you recommend for self-studying physics with a math background?

There are many online resources, textbooks, and video lectures available for self-studying physics. Some popular resources include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Physics Classroom. It is also helpful to have a good physics textbook, a notebook for taking notes and practicing problems, and access to a scientific calculator. Additionally, utilizing online forums or study groups can provide additional support and resources for self-studying physics.