Self education in modern physics

In summary, the person is a retired individual with a background in physics education. They did not focus on theoretical topics like General Relativity and their knowledge of Quantum Mechanics and Classical Lagrangian Mechanics has faded. They are now interested in self-study and are open to suggestions. They have a copy of Messiah's text for QM and are considering Misner, Thorne and Wheeler for GR. They are also looking for graduate texts on QFT and Classical Mechanics with challenging problems. They are also interested in personal recommendations and experiences rather than just using Google. They mention a few lecture courses and suggest searching for relevant threads in a forum for book recommendations.
RPinPA
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
In my physics education, I shied away from heavily theoretical stuff like General Relativity. I took the required sequence in Quantum Mechanics but having never used it on the job, much of that knowledge has faded too. I started a course in Quantum Field Theory but dropped it. I had friends working in particle theory who showed me Feynman diagrams and explained a little about how they were used, but I don't really know much about how those calculations are done.

I'm also embarassed that my knowledge of even Classical Lagrangian Mechanics has faded.

So now I'm a retired guy, in theory with a lot of free time on my hands. I've always kind of wanted to fill in those gaps, and now I think I want to undergo a serious course of self-study. I'm open to suggestions.

For QM, I bought a copy of Messiah's text which we used in school as a supplement for studying. It's been gathering dust on my shelf for a couple of years.

For GR, I've been thinking of working through Misner, Thorne and Wheeler. I believe that was the standard text my friends went through when they studied GR.

How about QFT and Classical Mechanics? I'm looking for graduate texts with tough, interesting, useful problems.

Also I'll take any general thoughts on self-study.

Edit to Add: I remember that U. of Chicago qualifying exam questions were also a popular study resource. I don't remember where people got them to distribute. Maybe something like that is collected somewhere?

Edit some more: I realize that in 2018, Google is my friend. But I'd like the personal input on people's opinions and experiences.

Physics news on Phys.org
I will suggest a few lecture courses.

Classical mechanics:

Classical physics by Prof. V. Balakrishnan.

QFT:

QFT by Prof. Prasanta Tripathy

QM:

Quantum Physics by Prof. V. Balakrishnan.

Advanced QM by Prof. Saurabh Basu

For books, you can perform a search in this forum. You will surely see a lot of matching threads.

Related to Self education in modern physics

1. What is self education in modern physics?

Self education in modern physics refers to the process of learning about modern physics theories and concepts through independent study and research, without the guidance of a formal educational institution or teacher.

2. Is self education in modern physics effective?

Yes, self education in modern physics can be effective if approached with dedication and discipline. It allows individuals to learn at their own pace and delve deeper into topics that interest them.

3. What are the benefits of self education in modern physics?

Self education in modern physics can help individuals develop critical thinking skills, improve problem-solving abilities, and gain a deeper understanding of complex scientific concepts. It also promotes self-motivation and independence in learning.

4. How can I start self educating in modern physics?

To start self educating in modern physics, you can begin by identifying specific topics or areas of interest and gathering reliable resources such as textbooks, online courses, and scientific journals. It is also helpful to join online communities or attend local events related to modern physics to connect with others and exchange knowledge.

5. Can self education in modern physics lead to a career in science?

While self education in modern physics may not lead to a formal degree, it can still be a valuable asset for individuals pursuing a career in science. The ability to independently learn and understand complex concepts is highly valued in the scientific community, and self education can help individuals develop these skills.