Segway for Presentation: SQl Server/Database and Data Mining

In summary, you might want to research Apache Spark and see if it is a good fit for the task at hand.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
I need to do a presentation in the subject areas of SQL Server, general Database into the area of Data Mining for a job interview. Any Ideas? First thought is the use of SSAS ( Analysis Service) and SSDT ( Data Tools) from SQL Server in Data Mining. But this does not seem clear-enough to me. I am not sure whether one actually uses SQL or t-SQL in either of these platforms. What language are the Machine-Learning (ML) programs written?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Read up on Apache Spark and how it distributes the work of machine learning.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Spark

You might get some general data mining insight from this IBM Redbook

http://jliusun.bradley.edu/~jiangbo/Redbooks/sg245252IMGuide.pdf

Data mining uses different strategies to find trends in data. One such strategy is to train a neural net to identify customers with a certain trait or behavior using other customers who've demonstrated that behavior or have that trait.

As an example, we have a database of customers to a bank. We want to find out who are dissatisfied with the bank and are thinking of leaving. We train a neural net using customers who have left and ask it to score the remaining customers and then we select out those customers with the highest scores and try to market me bank product to them to keep them as a customer.

SQL is used to extract the customers into a file and the mining tools process the file outputting a score. SQL is used to add the score back to the database. SQL is used to extract the high scoring customers for our marketing campaign.

Apache Spark could be used to manage the mining process is a more efficient distributed fashion,

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
Thanks, Jedi, I assume if we have an OLTP setup we would want to denormalize, while if we have an OLAP, we may want to eliminate redundancy and we do keep a normalized database? EDIT: I will owe you if I get my ( entry level) big data job.

Last edited:
Yes, that's basically it. We found that SQL queries to collect all the data from the various star schema tables while data mining was far slower than making a flat denormalized file of data to mine. I think this is still true and is used by Apache Spark as it distributes the data across the network machine.

Likes WWGD
I'm no longer in the data mining area. I moved on to scientific programming a few years ago but we're looking at using Apache Spark for a project. However, who knows what'll happen next.

Cheers, take care. Good luck with the job interview, try not to get bogged down in the details of their questions and answer honestly and confidently as they can't expect you to know everything about data mining but just knowing the terms and strategies will convince them.

Remember when you don't know something say so and then say you'll definitely review that or research that. Try to change things into a dialog instead of a question answer with you providing suggestions on how you can help them with their work.

Likes WWGD

1. What is a Segway for Presentation?

A Segway for Presentation is a method of presenting information about SQL Server/Database and Data Mining using a Segway, which is a two-wheeled, self-balancing personal transportation device. This unique and attention-grabbing approach allows for a more engaging and memorable presentation experience.

2. How can a Segway for Presentation be used for SQL Server/Database and Data Mining?

A Segway for Presentation can be used to physically navigate through and present different aspects of SQL Server/Database and Data Mining. For example, the presenter can use the Segway to move between different database tables or data mining algorithms, providing a visual representation of the information being discussed.

3. What are the benefits of using a Segway for Presentation for SQL Server/Database and Data Mining?

One of the main benefits of using a Segway for Presentation is the novelty and attention it brings to the presentation. This can help capture and maintain the audience's attention, making the information more memorable. Additionally, the physical movement of the Segway can help to better illustrate and explain complex concepts and data.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a Segway for Presentation?

While using a Segway for Presentation can be a fun and effective way to present information, it is important to remember that it may not be suitable for all audiences or settings. Some people may have physical limitations or concerns about safety when using a Segway. It is also important to ensure that the use of the Segway does not distract from the actual content of the presentation.

5. How can I incorporate a Segway for Presentation into my own presentations on SQL Server/Database and Data Mining?

If you are interested in using a Segway for Presentation for your own presentations, it is important to first consider your audience and setting. If appropriate, you can rent or purchase a Segway and practice using it to navigate through your presentation beforehand. It is also important to have a backup plan in case the Segway malfunctions or is not suitable for the setting.