I installed SQL Server in Win10....Without Config Manager?

In summary, it seems that SQL Server Configuration Manager is not available as a stand-alone download or as part of the SQL Server installation.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
[I cannot find my SQL Server Configuration Manager]
Hi, I have installed both SQL Server Express 2017 and SQL Server Developer 2017 (Separately; not one as a Default or Otherwise Instance) , and they have both run without any major problem. Issue now is that I want to allow a remote connection ( I always ran both as local machines) which requires me to ( among other things) enable TCP/IP . But in order to do that I must use the Configuration Manager, which I cannot find my SQL Server Configuration Manager. Is it possible to download it as a stand-alone into SQL Server ( Through Management Studio, say), or do I have to uninstall the whole SQL Server? I don't know anything about Visual Studio which may be another option. I thought Config Manager would install itself automatically but it seems that is not the case.
Any ideas, suggestions, please?
EDIT: My apologies, tunnel vision .
New Question: I am wondering if it would better to install it in the MSSQL Folder in Program Files?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Do you know how to allow remote connections through your router? How are you going to keep this secure?

Likes WWGD
Sorry, that wasn't very helpful. What I should have said is that the easiest way to get a SQL Server installation running is to use a cloud service such as Microsoft Azure.

Likes WWGD
Thanks all, this seems tied down to the issue I mentioned in other post on having a 32- and 64- bit instances coexisting. Config manager is , in win10, under Computer Management, in case anyone is interested.

pbuk said:
Do you know how to allow remote connections through your router? How are you going to keep this secure?
Yes, thanks, I know I have to enable tcp/ip. I need to re read the instructions.

pbuk said:
Sorry, that wasn't very helpful. What I should have said is that the easiest way to get a SQL Server installation running is to use a cloud service such as Microsoft Azure.
Well, I am a bit weary after hearing of cases where someone was careless with their free tier in Amazon ,ended up paying a couple $100 by unknowingly using something outside the free tier.

WWGD said:
Well, I am a bit weary after hearing of cases where someone was careless with their free tier in Amazon ,ended up paying a couple $100 by unknowingly using something outside the free tier.
Yes, Amazon is worse for this than Azure IME - one big "gotcha" is CloudWatch - a free tier Dynamo DB instance can clock up $$$ in CloudWatch logs on the default settings.

But now I am aware that your budget is approximately £0, I know that any SQL Server cloud service is out of your reach!

Likes WWGD
Well, not quite £0, but not enough for high-end either.

1. What is SQL Server and what does it do?

SQL Server is a relational database management system developed by Microsoft. It allows users to store, manage and retrieve data from a database, making it a crucial tool for data storage and analysis in various industries.

2. How do I install SQL Server on Windows 10 without using Config Manager?

To install SQL Server on Windows 10 without Config Manager, you can use the installation wizard or the command line. Both methods require you to have the installation files and a valid product key. The installation process may vary depending on the version of SQL Server you are installing.

3. What are the benefits of installing SQL Server without Config Manager?

Installing SQL Server without Config Manager allows for a more customized and controlled installation process. It also gives users the flexibility to choose which components to install and configure, rather than using the default settings provided by Config Manager. Additionally, it can be useful for troubleshooting installation issues.

4. Are there any drawbacks to installing SQL Server without Config Manager?

One potential drawback of installing SQL Server without Config Manager is that it may require more technical knowledge and experience. Config Manager simplifies the installation process and automates many configuration steps, making it more user-friendly for those with less technical expertise. Additionally, installing without Config Manager may result in a longer installation time and potential compatibility issues with other software on your system.

5. Can I still use Config Manager after installing SQL Server without it?

Yes, you can still use Config Manager after installing SQL Server without it. However, you may need to manually configure the settings and components that were not installed through Config Manager. It is recommended to use Config Manager for future updates and maintenance of SQL Server to ensure consistency and compatibility.