MS in Statistics or Data-mining

• Programs
  • Thread starter sarpy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, the conversation revolved around the speaker's struggle in choosing between a Master's degree in Statistics or Data Mining. They have a background in applied mathematics and computer science, with a preference for both programming and statistics. Their goal is a career in marketing analytics, but they are unsure which degree would be more beneficial. After conducting research and talking to professionals, the speaker has gathered that data mining is a newer field with rapid growth potential, while statistics is a well-established science. They are seeking opinions on the differences between a data miner and a statistician, and which degree would be a wiser choice for a career in analytics.
sarpy
Hello,

So i'am really facing a hard time deciding weather to choose a Ms in Statistics or data-mining

(please bear with my english as it's not my first language)

a little bit about my background :

.)a bachelor of science in applied mathematics and computer science
.)good Gpa
.)like mathematics and especially statistics so much
.)like computer science and programming even more
.)i prefer programming to mathematics but ideally i would prefer to use both in a job
.)my goal is a career in marketing analytics but right now i want to get further in my studies.

So basically according to the few researches i did and the conversations i had with few professors and professionals, my impression is that data-mining is a new field and it's not mature enough although it evolves rapidly whereas statistics is an old field, a well established science and is going to be a safe bet with some programming skills.

i need to hear your opinions about these insights first then i would like to know the difference between a dataminer and a statistician according to you and finally which choice is going to be wiser : a MS in DM or MS in Stats for a career in analytics.

any opinion is welcome, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
My two cents:
I wouldn't be afraid of a field that is "not mature". There will be a lot of growth in that field. Plain statistics often suffers from a lack of data and you may depend on others to collect data for you. Data mining recognizes that we currently have the ability to generate tremendous amounts of data that no one has the time to even look at. It will be great to have the combination of computer techniques to collect and process data, with the statistical background to analyse the results.

Likes sarpy

Related to MS in Statistics or Data-mining

1. What is the difference between MS in Statistics and MS in Data-mining?

The main difference between MS in Statistics and MS in Data-mining is the focus of the program. MS in Statistics focuses on the mathematical and statistical theory and techniques used in data analysis, while MS in Data-mining focuses on the practical application of those techniques to extract useful information from large datasets.

2. What skills can I expect to gain from an MS in Statistics or Data-mining program?

Both MS in Statistics and Data-mining programs provide students with a strong foundation in statistical theory, data analysis techniques, and programming skills. Students also learn how to use various statistical software and tools to analyze and interpret data.

3. What are the career opportunities for someone with an MS in Statistics or Data-mining?

Graduates with an MS in Statistics or Data-mining have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as finance, healthcare, marketing, and government. They can work as data analysts, statisticians, data scientists, or research analysts.

4. Is a background in mathematics or programming necessary for an MS in Statistics or Data-mining?

A strong background in mathematics and programming is not a requirement for an MS in Statistics or Data-mining, but it can be helpful. Some programs may require prerequisite courses in calculus, linear algebra, and programming, while others may offer remedial courses for students without a strong background in these areas.

5. What are the admission requirements for an MS in Statistics or Data-mining?

The admission requirements for an MS in Statistics or Data-mining may vary depending on the university or program. Generally, applicants are expected to have a bachelor's degree in a related field such as mathematics, statistics, or computer science. They may also need to submit GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.