Seeking Your Advice on Pre-Calculus Books Selection

In summary, the individual is seeking a recommendation for a pre-calculus textbook to brush up on their algebra, functions, trigonometry, and geometry skills before returning to studying real analysis and number theory. They have compiled a list of potential textbooks and are open to suggestions for other good books. Another individual recommends PKAxler's precalculus textbook, which covers a range of topics including the construction of the real line and proofs of irrational numbers, inequalities, absolute value, trigonometric formulas, and matrices. However, the newer edition of the book may not include discussions on power series or the complex exponential and determinants.
bacte2013
Dear Physics Forum personnel,

I wrote this email because I am seeking a recommendation on selecting the pre-calculus textbooks. I have been studying the real analysis and number theory, and I felt that I need to brush up the algebra, functions, trigonometry, and geometry. So I decided to purchase a pre-calculus textbook and study it for two weeks, and return back to the real analysis and number theory. The particular pre-calculus textbooks I have in my mind are:

Allendoerfer & Oakley: Fundamentals of Freshman Mathematics & Principles of Mathematics
Serge Lang: Basic Mathematics
George Simmons: Pre-Calculus Mathematics in a Nutshell
Israel Gelfand: Algebra, Trigonometry
John Stillwell: Numbers and Geometry
Richard Courant: What is Mathematics?

Which one of them will be good for self-studying and as intensive review? Unfortunately, I forgot majority of stuffs in pre-calculus topics (particularly the trigonometry and functions) so I am planning to study from scratch and with higher level than the typical high school-level courses. If you know other good books, please inform me too!

PK

Likes ankit gupta
Physics news on Phys.org
Axler: Precalculus may be interesting to you. I have his "Linear Algebra Done Right" which is intended to be used for a second Linear Algebra course, one that is more theoretical. He says in the preface that one should pore over every page, proving every theorem and exploring every definition, and that an hour per page is about the right pace for the book. My only real complaint about his style is that his exercises can tend to be unintuitive, in the sense that finding an attack vector for the problem is the problem. But I can't fault him for writing in a very accurate and terse style.

His precalculus one is at a lower level in the sense that he does intend it to be used by enterprising high-schoolers but for example, in his "review" chapter 0 he constructs the real line and proves the irrationality of ##\sqrt{2}##, hence showing why real numbers are needed, and discusses the "algebra of the real numbers". He also "reviews" inequalities and absolute value.

I see in the trig section that he includes pretty much all the formulas including half-angle formulas and the sum and difference formulas, and discusses inverse trig identities which for example I hadn't actually seen until Pranav-Arora asked about them here. So this section of the book looks very complete. I don't think he discusses power series or the complex exponential though, and while he includes matrices, it seems determinants are not included.

There is a newer edition of the book but I linked to the one that one can look inside.

Last edited:
Likes ankit gupta

Related to Seeking Your Advice on Pre-Calculus Books Selection

What is pre-calculus and why is it important to study?

Pre-calculus is a branch of mathematics that covers topics such as algebra, trigonometry, and functions. It is important to study pre-calculus because it provides the foundation for many advanced math courses, including calculus, and is necessary for many fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.

What factors should I consider when selecting a pre-calculus book?

There are several factors to consider when selecting a pre-calculus book, including the level of difficulty, the approach and style of the book, the topics covered, and the publisher. It is also important to consider your own learning style and preferences to find a book that suits you best.

Are there any recommended pre-calculus books for beginners?

Yes, some popular pre-calculus books for beginners include "Precalculus: Mathematics for Calculus" by James Stewart, "Precalculus: Graphical, Numerical, Algebraic" by Franklin Demana, and "Precalculus with Limits" by Ron Larson. However, it is important to do your own research and find a book that best fits your needs.

What resources can I use to compare and evaluate pre-calculus books?

There are several resources you can use to compare and evaluate pre-calculus books, including online reviews and ratings, recommendations from teachers or other experts, and sample chapters or previews provided by the publisher. You can also ask for suggestions from peers who have already taken pre-calculus.

Is it necessary to purchase a pre-calculus book or are there other options available?

While purchasing a pre-calculus book is the most common option, there are also other options available such as borrowing from a library, using online resources, or purchasing a used book. However, it is important to have a reliable and comprehensive resource for your studies, so make sure to choose an option that best fits your needs and budget.