Seeking recommendation for rigorous general chemistry textbook

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for a chemistry textbook to refresh their knowledge after 12 years. They prefer a book that includes calculus and other higher mathematics, as well as introductory quantum mechanics and thermodynamics. Two potential options are Chemical Principles by Atkins and Principles of Modern Chemistry by Oxtoby, but the individual is open to other recommendations. Another person suggests getting Physical Chemistry by Atkins or McQuarrie for a more advanced understanding, but also recommends picking up a separate book on analytical chemistry. Another person recommends Oxtoby and mentions that Linus Pauling's General Chemistry is a good option as well.
mosenja
Title says it all.

But to further elaborate... it's been about 12 years since I had general chemistry, I don't remember any of it, and would like to pick up a textbook to refresh my knowledge. I majored in math and physics, so I would prefer the book not to dodge the use of, say, calculus, other 'higher mathematics', introductory QM, or thermo, if it would be useful giving a rigorous presentation of the material.

A little research has lead to the books Chemical Principles by Atkins and Principles of Modern Chemistry by Oxtoby. Which would be more appropriate for my situation? Or are there other books better suited to me? Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, maybe my question was a bit too general and/or vague.

The reviews on amazon.com for those two books are quite mixed, and some are irrelevant. Does anyone here have anything good or bad to say about either of them? If you have used either in the past, would you recommend it?

You're in a weird situation. You should get Physical Chemistry by Atkins or Physical Chemistry by McQuarrie. Those are books appropriate for junior/senior courses that use multivariable calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, group theory, etc. On the other hand, I would then recommend you pick up a separate book on analytical chemistry to get the introduction to acid/base equilibria and gravimetric methods among other things. There's a Schaum's Outline of Analytical Chemistry.

Alternatively, you can pick up either of those books you mentioned, I would lean towards Oxtoby, and get the full freshman chemistry curriculum, but you won't get any math above algebra being used.

Oxtoby! Especially if you're more inclined to appreciate the physics behind the chemistry

Sorry if I'm late, but Linus Pauling's General Chemistry is a wonderful (albeit old) text.

Related to Seeking recommendation for rigorous general chemistry textbook

What are the key features to look for in a rigorous general chemistry textbook?

A rigorous general chemistry textbook should have a clear and comprehensive coverage of fundamental concepts and principles, numerous practice problems and exercises, well-organized and easy-to-follow structure, and up-to-date information and examples.

What are some highly recommended textbooks for rigorous general chemistry?

Some popular and highly recommended textbooks for rigorous general chemistry include "Chemistry: The Central Science" by Brown, LeMay, Bursten, Murphy, and Woodward, "General Chemistry: Principles and Modern Applications" by Petrucci, Herring, Madura, and Bissonnette, and "Chemistry" by Zumdahl and Zumdahl.

Are there any online resources or reviews that can help in choosing a rigorous general chemistry textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources and reviews available that can help in choosing a rigorous general chemistry textbook. Some websites, such as Amazon, Goodreads, and Chegg, provide customer reviews and ratings for textbooks. There are also many educational blogs and forums where students and educators share their experiences and recommendations for textbooks.

What is the difference between a rigorous general chemistry textbook and a regular one?

A rigorous general chemistry textbook typically covers a wider range of topics and goes into more depth and detail compared to a regular textbook. It also includes more challenging practice problems and exercises to help students develop strong problem-solving skills.

Is the latest edition of a rigorous general chemistry textbook always necessary?

It is not always necessary to have the latest edition of a rigorous general chemistry textbook. While the latest edition may include updates and improvements, older editions can still provide a solid foundation in general chemistry. However, it is important to note that newer editions may have different formatting, organization, or additional content, so it is best to check with your instructor before purchasing an older edition.