Seeking concise review of Elementary Euclidean Geometry

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding a textbook that presents Euclidean geometry in a straightforward manner without unnecessary condescension. One person recommends reading Euclid's Elements, considered the best book on the subject, and suggests pairing it with the companion book "Euclid and beyond." Another person mentions the Russian book Kiselev, which is highly recommended but does not follow Euclid's original approach as it takes the real numbers for granted. The conversation ends with a recommendation to learn from the masters by reading Euclid's Elements.
Odious Suspect
I'm seeing a presentation of Euclidean geometry that isn't hand-holdy. I've looked at some textbooks used in high schools these days, and it's hard to find the axioms and theorems in the midst of all the condescension. I just want something that states the definitions, axioms and basic theorems.

I know what a Riemann-Christoffel tensor is; and with a bit of scraping off the rust, could derive it. But if you asked me to demonstrate some basic theorem in elementary Euclidean geometry, I would be hard pressed to state the essential definitions and axioms upon which the theorem rests.

Physics news on Phys.org
Edwin E. Moise Geometry perhaps?

Why not read Euclid's Elements itself? It's still the best book on the subject. Try to read it with the companion book Harthorne's "Euclid and beyond".

Moise is very good too, but doesn't focus on the approach that Euclid himself followed.

Likes mathwonk and bcrowell
@micromass, would you also recommended the famous Russian book, Kiselev, " Planimetry."? My instructor gifted mea copy and I think its a good book, I could not get farther than chapter 2, due to time constraints.

However, I am not sure if it follows Euclid, i am a geometry noob.

MidgetDwarf said:
@micromass, would you also recommended the famous Russian book, Kiselev, " Planimetry."? My instructor gifted mea copy and I think its a good book, I could not get farther than chapter 2, due to time constraints.

However, I am not sure if it follows Euclid, i am a geometry noob.

Kiselev is an excellent book, with some flaws. But it is one of the best introductory geometry books out there.

It doesn't follow Euclid however. It doesn't even state any axioms.

What is Euclid's approach? Well, today you have essentially two approaches, and they all deal with how real numbers are treated. One approach takes the real numbers as fundamental. The axioms state will involve a distance function and explicit reference to real numbers. This is the approach Moise takes initially.
Euclid's original approach however did not contain any real numbers what-so-ever. Euclid did say what it means for figure to have equal area or length, but it never gives a number to that area or length. This approach is also dealt with in Moise, but much later in the book.

Kiselev immediately starts of with measuring angles. So it takes the real numbers very clearly for granted. So if he were to state rigorous axioms, he would not follow Euclid.

micromass said:
Kiselev is an excellent book, with some flaws. But it is one of the best introductory geometry books out there.

It doesn't follow Euclid however. It doesn't even state any axioms.

What is Euclid's approach? Well, today you have essentially two approaches, and they all deal with how real numbers are treated. One approach takes the real numbers as fundamental. The axioms state will involve a distance function and explicit reference to real numbers. This is the approach Moise takes initially.
Euclid's original approach however did not contain any real numbers what-so-ever. Euclid did say what it means for figure to have equal area or length, but it never gives a number to that area or length. This approach is also dealt with in Moise, but much later in the book.

Kiselev immediately starts of with measuring angles. So it takes the real numbers very clearly for granted. So if he were to state rigorous axioms, he would not follow Euclid.

Thanks for the very exciting and informative post.

micromass said:
Why not read Euclid's Elements itself? It's still the best book on the subject. Try to read it with the companion book Harthorne's "Euclid and beyond".

I second this. There's no substitute to learning from the masters.

Related to Seeking concise review of Elementary Euclidean Geometry

1. What is Euclidean Geometry?

Euclidean Geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of shapes, sizes, and their properties in a two-dimensional or three-dimensional space. It is named after the ancient Greek mathematician Euclid, who first studied and wrote about it.

2. What are the key concepts in Elementary Euclidean Geometry?

The key concepts in Elementary Euclidean Geometry include points, lines, angles, triangles, circles, and polygons. These concepts are used to study and understand the relationships between shapes and their properties.

3. What are the basic principles of Euclidean Geometry?

The basic principles of Euclidean Geometry are based on five postulates or axioms, which serve as the foundation for all geometric proofs. These postulates include the existence of a straight line that connects two points, the extension of a line to form a line segment, the congruence of all right angles, and the parallel postulate.

4. How is Euclidean Geometry used in real life?

Euclidean Geometry has many practical applications in our daily lives, such as in architecture, engineering, and design. It is used to create and analyze structures, design buildings and bridges, and calculate distances and angles in navigation and surveying.

5. What are some common misconceptions about Euclidean Geometry?

One common misconception is that Euclidean Geometry only applies to perfect, ideal shapes and doesn't account for real-life imperfections. However, Euclidean Geometry is still used in practical applications, and its principles can be adapted to account for imperfections. Another misconception is that Euclidean Geometry is outdated, but it continues to be an essential part of mathematics and is still widely studied and applied today.