What's algebraic geometry good for?

• Thread starter AdrianZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, Algebraic geometry is the study of polynomial equations from a geometric perspective. It allows for the transformation of geometric problems into algebraic problems and vice versa. This field has applications in pure mathematics, applied mathematics, and physics, and is often considered to be the bridge between geometry and algebra. It is a two-way dictionary between these two areas of mathematics, with the goal of using geometric intuition to solve algebraic problems and vice versa. There are many books available on algebraic geometry for undergraduate students, but it is recommended to have a strong foundation in algebra and geometry before delving into this field.
AdrianZ
I'm currently studying abstract algebra from Herstein's interesting book "Topics in algebra", I've learned different definitions so far and I've solved most of the problems covered in the book. I've so far studied groups, subgroups of them, normal subgroups, quotient groups, isomorphism theorems, products of groups, conjugacy classes and the conjugacy class equation and I've understood theorems like Cauchy theorem, but so far I've excluded Sylow theorem from my group theory knowledge because I find a bit hard to for self studying. In rings, I've got acquainted with basic definitions and I've gone further and realized that every domain can be extended to a field and I've understood results like R/M is a field if and only if M is a maximal ideal provided that R is a commutative ring with a multiplication identity element. I've also studied the ring of polynomials with coefficients in F from Herstein's "topics in algebra" and Hoffman-Kunze linear algebra book.
Today I was studying Euclidean rings and I found the subject very beautiful and subtle and I guess by the end of today I'll try to solve some problems on Euclidean rings.

Having said all of these things, my favorite area of mathematics is geometry, but I also love abstract algebra, analysis and topology. The name algebraic geometry suggests that it must be an interesting field that links geometry to algebra. Is that true?

What is algebraic geometry about? What are the main theorems in algebraic geometry? What are the applications of algebraic geometry in pure mathematics and applied mathematics or in physics? Is there any book that explains algebraic geometry for an undergraduate student? What are the prerequisites to study algebraic geometry? Is it a good idea that I study algebraic geometry now?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
At the core of it, algebraic geometry is about studying polynomial equations f(x_1,...,x_n)=0 (or systems of polynomial equations) from a geometric viewpoint. Geometry enters the picture through the zero locus Z={(x_1,...,x_n) | f(x_1,..,x_n)=0} of the polynomial. E.g. the zero locus of [itex]f(x,y)=x^2+y^2-1 \in R[x,y][/itex] is a "circle" in R^2 (here R is a ring). The hope is that you can use intuition gained from studying the geometry of Z to help you with your algebraic problem of studying the equation f(x_1,...,x_n)=0.

Conversely, algebraic geometry allows you to transform certain problems in geometry into problems in algebra. For example, certain geometric phenomena that you see on curves, like nodes and cusps, etc., correspond to simple facts about the polynomial defining the curve. Here the hope is that the wealth of available algebraic techniques can guide your geometric intuition. Implicit here is a remarkable idea, namely that to every ring there should correspond some "geometric" object. For certain rings, like R[x,y]/<x^2+y^2-1>, the corresponding geometric object is obvious. But for others, like [itex]\mathbb Z[/itex], not so much.

That's the simple-minded explanation of algebraic geometry: it's a two-way dictionary (in some precise sense) between algebra and geometry.

I have to run now - I'll say a bit more about applications later.

it makes old men young, ugly guys handsome, faint women courageous. In short it heals all ills, salves all wounds, pacifies all strife. Get yours today.

Attachments

• 8300 2003 01 intro.pdf
    134.5 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
mathwonk said:
it makes old men young, ugly guys handsome, faint women courageous. In short it heals all ills, salves all wounds, pacifies all strife. Get yours today.

I don't even think Jesus Christ could compete with that!

mathwonk said:

:D

I guess holy-grail is inscripted with polynomials, then..

Related to What's algebraic geometry good for?

1. What is algebraic geometry?

Algebraic geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the solutions to polynomial equations using tools from both algebra and geometry.

2. How is algebraic geometry useful?

Algebraic geometry has numerous applications in various fields such as physics, computer science, and cryptography. It also has practical applications in solving real-world problems related to economics, engineering, and biology.

3. Can algebraic geometry be helpful in understanding shapes and spaces?

Yes, algebraic geometry provides a powerful framework for studying and understanding geometric shapes and spaces. It allows us to represent and manipulate geometric objects using algebraic equations and techniques.

4. Are there any real-world examples where algebraic geometry has been applied?

Yes, algebraic geometry has been applied in many fields such as image and signal processing, robotics, and computer graphics. It has also been used in studying and optimizing networks, designing efficient communication systems, and developing new algorithms for data analysis.

5. Is algebraic geometry a difficult subject to learn?

As with any branch of mathematics, algebraic geometry can be challenging to learn. However, with patience and practice, anyone can develop a strong understanding of its concepts and applications. It is a highly rewarding field of study that offers a deep understanding of the fundamental structures in mathematics.