Seeing the Martian moons with a pair of $60 binoculars

• I
  • Thread starter Alltimegreat1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moons Pair
In summary, it is not possible to see the extremely tiny moons of Mars with a large telescope due to their close orbit and the law of diffraction. However, Jovian moons are impressive and can be seen with the help of an occulting bar.
Alltimegreat1
Is it possible?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Not a chance, sorry. They're extremely tiny and orbit very close to Mars. Even with a large telescope you probably wouldn't be able to see them. Perhaps with some long CCD exposures and some software you might be able to get Deimos in an image.

Alltimegreat1 said:
Is it possible?
The law of diffraction provides the answer based on your optics diameter - and it is negative

Jovian moons are worth going for, though. Very impressive, for some reason. I guess it's because they are probably the first thing you see with your Real Astronomer's hat on.

I once modified an eyepiece with an occulting bar. It's a piece of wire threaded across the diameter of the eyepiece at the focal point. I tried it on a rather large telescope (24 in?) in Sonoma county under a dark moonless night while Mars was at opposition. The occulting bar was used to block Mars so perhaps the moons would be visible.

I couldn't see them. But others in our group claimed they could. I asked them to sketch what they saw. Later, I looked up where the moons should have been at that time. It matched their observations.

Related to Seeing the Martian moons with a pair of $60 binoculars

1. Can I really see the Martian moons with a pair of $60 binoculars?

Yes, it is possible to see the Martian moons Phobos and Deimos with a pair of $60 binoculars. However, the quality and strength of the binoculars will affect the clarity and size of the moons you can see.

2. How big will the Martian moons appear through $60 binoculars?

The size of the Martian moons through $60 binoculars will vary depending on the magnification power of the binoculars. On average, Phobos will appear about 14 arcseconds in diameter and Deimos will appear about 6 arcseconds in diameter. This may not seem very large, but it is still possible to see them as distinct, separate objects.

3. When is the best time to see the Martian moons through $60 binoculars?

The best time to see the Martian moons through $60 binoculars is when Mars is at its closest approach to Earth, which happens every 26 months. During this time, the moons will appear larger and brighter in the sky, making them easier to see with binoculars.

4. Is there a specific location or direction I should look to see the Martian moons with $60 binoculars?

Yes, the best location to see the Martian moons with $60 binoculars is in a dark, clear sky away from city lights. The direction in which you should look will depend on your location and the current position of Mars in the sky. It is best to consult a star map or astronomy app to determine the exact direction.

5. What other objects will I be able to see with $60 binoculars while looking for the Martian moons?

Along with the Martian moons, you may also be able to see other objects in the sky such as stars, constellations, and even other planets like Jupiter and Saturn. The quality and strength of the binoculars will determine which objects are visible and how clearly they can be seen.