Hexagonal Craters: Airless Worlds & Moons Explored

• B
  • Thread starter GregM
  • Start date
In summary, on airless rocky worlds, many crater shapes are hexagons because of the way the regional surface/subsurface fracture system deflected the impact generated pressure waves along the tectonic network.
GregM
TL;DR Summary
Hexagonal craters. Why?
On airless rocky worlds, why are so many craters hexagons? There are even some pentagons. I see them on the Moon, Mercury, Ceres, Mars, Mimas... It's quiker to note the airless worlds that don't have have hexagon craters.
This one is Ceres.
cGc.jpg

We can use this thread as an image repository for hexagonal craters.

Likes Philip Koeck
Astronomy news on Phys.org
>How many?
You've mistaken me for a member of the ESA 10 year long solar system crater survey team. Very flattering, in return I'll mistake you for a fellow member: How many round craters are there in the solar system?>Check this for brief explanation:
a rather vague arm wave at possile explanations.

i've fished out the explanation for you:
"The regional surface/subsurface fracture system deflected the impact generated pressure waves along the tectonic network, causing the linear sides we see in the image."

So is that the consensus reason for hexagonal craters in the solar system?
the impact crater link doesn't mention hexagon or any polygon shaped craters so its not useful.
1662200188964.png

Last edited by a moderator:
1662200495642.png

Mimas with its large hexagon crater 'Herschel'

Well I don't see the green marked one as hexagonal but a semicircle with two flat side. The brown bottom left one is a polygon of at least ten sides. So even the two of us can't agree on the shape of some craters on the picture in post #3.
On the picture on post #4 I also don't see the big crater as hexagonal, it is somewhat a complex shape. It's also a complex crater:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_crater

GregM said:
You've mistaken me for a member of the ESA 10 year long solar system crater survey team. Very flattering, in return I'll mistake u for a fellow member: How many round craters are there in the solar system?
According to various sources (like this one) most of the craters are circular, so I guess the hexagonal ones are a minority.

GregM said:
i've fished out the explanation for you:
"The regional surface/subsurface fracture system deflected the impact generated pressure waves along the tectonic network, causing the linear sides we see in the image."
Yes that is the link I found for you and I don't see any problem with this explanation of why a polygonial crater can form. What other search have you done?

Likes russ_watters
>I don't see the green marked one as hexagonal but a semicircle with two flat side.
Perhaps we've got a case of 'I don't think the heart is on the left side of the body'. It took centuries for experts to overturn their preconception that the human heart was in the centre of the chest, even when the evidence was routinely before their eyes, their hands, and their scalpels.
If i was more techy I would get a computer pattern recognision to analyse the photos of craters to get an objective assessment rather than by eye.

> most of the craters are circular, so I guess the hexagonal ones are a minority.
Correct. But there's enough hexagonal and polygonal craters to prompt investigation.

> I don't see any problem with this explanation of why a polygonial crater can form
The basis of modern understanding is the scientific method; I've yet to see lab demostration/test of creation of a hexagonal / polygonal crater by impact. You are ok with this?

Hexagon crater on Mercury
1662209370933.png

There seems to be a pattern of about 4 sides being well defined as an equilateral hexagon, then 1 or 2 sides being poorly defined.

• Skeptical
Likes Motore
Geographic hexagonal fracture lines. I think this lot played too much Civilization 5. Looking at the Earth's geography and geology, hexagonal fault patterns don't exist.
I don't see any lab model evidence.
Callisto's South Pole
1662407731832.png

• Skeptical
Likes Motore
GregM said:
The basis of modern understanding is the scientific method; I've yet to see lab demostration/test of creation of a hexagonal / polygonal crater by impact. You are ok with this?
I seem to remember that the size of crystals formed depends a lot on the timescale involved; the slower the bigger.
During the formation of a planet/oid there must be a big variety of distances from a star or bigger planet which could, in some instances, produce very big crystalline forms. These could be revealed by impacts. Would such lab tests to check this be easy / possible to carry out? It sounds like an expensive idea.

GregM said:

GregM said:
I don't see any lab model evidence.
Hard to build labs that are several kilometers across and in depth that can withstand the impact of a multi-hundred-meter-sized impactor traveling at several kilometers per second.* That's probably the only way you'll get the right scale of size, energy, and depth to do a proper test.

*I guess we could cordon off a section of the surface somewhere for a test, but corralling a meteor is harder than herding cats and a fair bit more destructive to the surrounding environment.

GregM said:
Looking at the Earth's geography and geology, hexagonal fault patterns don't exist.
And yet the researchers disagree with you since they cite it as a possible cause. Well, they cite "fractures or other planes of weakness", not faults, but I'm unsure of the technical distinction between the two or if you really meant to use two different terms. In any case, I doubt these are truly hexagonal since that would imply a singular fracture. More likely the regions of weakness are simply oriented at different angles to each other, and we are simply seeing the ones that happen to end up vaguely shaped like a polygon as 'special' and singling them out.

Drakkith said:
*I guess we could cordon off a section of the surface somewhere for a test, but corralling a meteor is harder than herding cats and a fair bit more destructive to the surrounding environment.
It's not essential for lab tests to confirm all theories (eg Black Holes do't appear in the lab); all that's necessary is for suitable evidence to be found. But I wasn't suggesting playing with meteors; just suitable lumps of satellite stuff that are no longer useful in their orbits. However, Kinetic Energy being what it is, the velocities available from re-entering garbage would probably not be enough.
But we have already 'explained' to ourselves that the momentum is not relevant so why not just use a massive explosion?

sophiecentaur said:
But we have already 'explained' to ourselves that the momentum is not relevant so why not just use a massive explosion?
There are probably quite a few nuclear blast craters left over from all the tests. Perhaps we could use them?

Drakkith said:
There are probably quite a few nuclear blast craters left over from all the tests. Perhaps we could use them?

My second favorite nuclear cratering experiment

8932136100_717a2d1bde_k.jpg

Before anyone gets too excited about the shape, it is from 5 detonations.

Likes Drakkith

1. What are hexagonal craters?

Hexagonal craters are a type of impact crater that is characterized by a hexagonal, or six-sided, shape. They are typically found on airless worlds and moons, such as Mercury and our own Moon.

2. How are hexagonal craters formed?

Hexagonal craters are formed when a meteorite or other object impacts the surface of an airless world or moon. The impact creates a circular crater, but over time, the material in the center of the crater sinks and the crater walls collapse, resulting in the hexagonal shape.

3. What is the significance of hexagonal craters?

Hexagonal craters can provide valuable information about the geological history of a planet or moon. The shape of the crater can indicate the type of impact that created it, and the location and size of the crater can give clues about the composition and structure of the surface.

4. Are hexagonal craters unique to airless worlds and moons?

No, hexagonal craters can also be found on Earth. However, they are much more common on airless worlds and moons because they lack an atmosphere to erode or alter the shape of the crater.

5. What other features can be found on airless worlds and moons besides hexagonal craters?

Airless worlds and moons can also have other types of impact craters, such as circular and elliptical craters. They may also have volcanic features, such as lava flows and volcanic cones, as well as various types of surface fractures and valleys.