Section 8.3 in stewart calculus problem 8

In summary, the conversation is about working on a problem related to hydrostatic pressure and trying to find a way to relate the numbers to dimensions in order to make sense of the problem. The problem involves a trapezoid with the base above water, and the speaker is trying to figure out how to relate the sides in order to find the volume of water in the trapezoid. They suggest using similar triangles to solve for the area, but mention that the number 4 does not break up nicely in this situation. The speaker also mentions different scenarios, such as a trapezoidal trough or boat, in which the equation for finding the volume of water would be different.
TitoSmooth
So I'm working On hydrostatic pressure. The problem #8 in stewart

Is a trapezoid with the base above water.

\------------------------/ 1(above watee)
\ / 1(in watee)
\ /
---------------

So if the base was a number say
50. N the bottom was 15.

I COULD split the trapezoid in half.

15 +10 base

And bottom would be 15.

Similar triangles for the rectangle slab would give me. A/(height of object minus height in water-Y)=10/20

Then I'll solve for A.

The problem here is that the number 4 does not break up as nicely as this does. How would I relate the sides?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid you are not making sense.
You need to relate the numbers to dimensions in order to make sense.

A trapezoidal trough may have length L, bottom-width B, top-width W, and overall-height H.
It may be filled with water to height y.

We'd expect W>B, and L>W, so it's like a pig-trough. But it does not have to be that way.

w=B+(W-B)y/H would be the width of the trough at the water-height,
and the volume of water in the trough would be V=y(B+w)L/2.

Or it could be a trapezoidal boat, like a punt with a flat prow and stern.
In that case, w is the width of the punt at the water-line and V is the volume of water displaced.

Now... what are you talking about?

Related to Section 8.3 in stewart calculus problem 8

1. What is Section 8.3 in Stewart Calculus Problem 8?

Section 8.3 in Stewart Calculus Problem 8 is a chapter in the Stewart Calculus textbook that covers the topic of Optimization. It deals with finding the maximum or minimum values of a function, subject to certain constraints.

2. Why is Section 8.3 important in calculus?

Section 8.3 is important in calculus because it teaches students how to apply optimization techniques to real-world problems. These techniques are widely used in various fields such as economics, engineering, and physics.

3. What are some common types of optimization problems covered in Section 8.3?

Some common types of optimization problems covered in Section 8.3 include maximizing or minimizing a function with a single variable, maximizing or minimizing a function with multiple variables, and finding the optimal point on a curve.

4. What are some key concepts and formulas covered in Section 8.3?

Some key concepts and formulas covered in Section 8.3 include critical points, first and second derivative tests for extrema, Lagrange multipliers, and the method of substitution. These tools are essential for solving optimization problems.

5. How can I prepare for solving optimization problems in Section 8.3?

To prepare for solving optimization problems in Section 8.3, it is important to have a solid understanding of calculus concepts such as derivatives, critical points, and optimization techniques. Practice problems and examples from the textbook can also help improve problem-solving skills in this area.