Secondary 1 Science/Math equation help

• MHB
  • Thread starter Cluel
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the transfer of energy from point A to point B, with a distance of 12 m and a time of 37.5 seconds. The solution involves finding the wave speed, which is 8 m/s and then using the formula f = v/$\lambda$ to calculate the frequency. The final result is 25 seconds for the time it takes for one full wavelength to travel from A to B.
Cluel
i am homeschooled and it’d be really helpful if someone can explain the solution for (d): (i) and (ii)
ignore my answer for (a) i know that i should multiply by 2

Attachments

• 867B50FC-4D07-4830-A531-0F295F0C483A.jpeg
    867B50FC-4D07-4830-A531-0F295F0C483A.jpeg
    30.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 820640F0-7F6D-4F46-9314-7A892F27CF88.jpeg
    820640F0-7F6D-4F46-9314-7A892F27CF88.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 60
Mathematics news on Phys.org
oops there’s only one wavelength

The distance from A to B is 12 m and you are told that this is $1\frac{1}{2}= \frac{3}{2}$ wavelength.
So one wave length is $\frac{1}{\frac{3}{2}}= \frac{2}{3}$ of 12 m= 8 m.

part (d) states that it takes 37.5 seconds to transfer energy from A to B, a distance of $1.5 \lambda$

wave speed is $v = \dfrac{12\, m}{37.5 \, sec} = \dfrac{8 \, m}{t \, sec}$ ... solve for $t$

finally, $f = \dfrac{v}{\lambda}$

skeeter said:
part (d) states that it takes 37.5 seconds to transfer energy from A to B, a distance of $1.5 \lambda$

wave speed is $v = \dfrac{12\, m}{37.5 \, sec} = \dfrac{8 \, m}{t \, sec}$ ... solve for $t$

finally, $f = \dfrac{v}{\lambda}$
37.5 / 12 x 8 = 2.5s?
or 12 / 37.5 = 0.32
8 / 0.32 = 25s

$t = \dfrac{37.5 \cdot 8}{12} = 25 \, sec$

or, thinking proportionally, the wave travels three half wavelengths in 37.5 sec ... it would travel two half wavelengths (1 whole $\lambda$) in 2/3 the time.

Related to Secondary 1 Science/Math equation help

What are the basic concepts of Secondary 1 Science and Math?

The basic concepts of Secondary 1 Science and Math include topics such as measurements, forces, energy, matter, and basic algebraic equations. These concepts provide a foundation for more advanced scientific and mathematical concepts in higher grades.

How can I solve equations in Secondary 1 Science and Math?

To solve equations in Secondary 1 Science and Math, it is important to understand the order of operations and use appropriate formulas or rules for specific types of equations. It is also helpful to practice solving different types of equations to improve problem-solving skills.

What are some common mistakes made when solving equations in Secondary 1 Science and Math?

Some common mistakes made when solving equations in Secondary 1 Science and Math include not following the order of operations, making calculation errors, and not using the correct formulas or rules for specific types of equations. It is important to double check work and practice regularly to avoid these mistakes.

How can I improve my understanding of equations in Secondary 1 Science and Math?

To improve understanding of equations in Secondary 1 Science and Math, it is important to practice regularly and seek help from teachers or peers when needed. It can also be helpful to use visual aids or real-life examples to better understand how equations are applied in different situations.

What are some resources for additional help with equations in Secondary 1 Science and Math?

There are many resources available for additional help with equations in Secondary 1 Science and Math, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. It can also be beneficial to attend after-school tutoring or seek help from a teacher or tutor for personalized assistance.