Second Order Seperable Differential Equations

In summary, the person is trying to solve a second-order differential equation with a squared term, but they are having trouble. They are using a substitution for u=dx/dt, but they are not getting the right answer. They are trying to integrate both sides, but they are not getting the right answer. They are then trying to find the general solution, but they are getting an error. Finally, they are told that their error is most likely in the calculation of the integration constants.
-JammyDodger-
Hello and thanks to all who read this.

I'm trying to teach myself applied mathematics, specifically (simple) differential equations.

I've been solving them all fine, so far, but now I've come across second order DE's with a squared term, and I can't seem to get the right answer. I'll give an example:

d^2x/dt^2 = (dx/dt)^2

I've been using a substitution as follows:

u = dx/dt

Therefore:

du/dt = u^2

Then seperating:

du/u^2 = dt

Then integrating both sides:

-1/u = t + k

The inital conditions are if x=0, dx/dt (u) =1 and t=0

Therefore k = -1

Then:

-1/u = (t-1)
-1/(dx/dt) = (t-1)
-1/dx = (t-1)dt

Integrating again:

-x = (t^2)/2 - t + C

Initial conditions mean C = 0

Therefore, I get my answer to be:

x = t - (t^2)/2

The correct answer is: x = ln[1/(1-t)]

Could someone please show me where I'm going wrong? Is it just a simple algebraic mistake? Or is my method completely wrong? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
-JammyDodger- said:
-1/u = (t-1)
-1/(dx/dt) = (t-1)
-1/dx = (t-1)dt

Your mistake is here. Try going over this part again.

Thanks for your reply, I think I see where I was going wrong now.

The -1/(dx/dt) becomes -dt/dx; is that right?

Funnily, I'm still not getting the right answer, I keep getting x=ln[(1-t)/1], whereas the correct answer is x=ln[1/(1-t)].

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Could be a minus sign somewhere, considering that

[tex]\ln \left( \frac{1}{1-t} \right) = - \ln \left( \frac{1-t}{1} \right)[/tex]

I just can't seem to get the right answer. I get either x=ln[(1-t)] or x=ln[1/(t-1)]. The correct answer is x=ln[1/(1-t)]. Would it be possible for you to run through the solution? I don't think I'm going to get anywhere with it because I keep making the same mistake somewhere.

I get -1/u = t-1 ; I then multiply by -1 to change signs: 1/u = 1-t ; and u =dx/dt, therefore dt/dx = 1-t ; and when I separate I get: dt/(1-t) = dx. Is my error somewhere there?

For reference the problem is d^2x/dt^2 = (dx/dt)^2 ; with initial conditions being: x=0 and dx/dt = 1 when t=0.

Thanks for your replies.

It looks like what you have up to dt/(1 - t) = dx is ok. But when you integrate that, you should be getting x = -ln|1 - t|.

-JammyDodger- said:
I just can't seem to get the right answer. I get either x=ln[(1-t)] or x=ln[1/(t-1)]. The correct answer is x=ln[1/(1-t)]. Would it be possible for you to run through the solution? I don't think I'm going to get anywhere with it because I keep making the same mistake somewhere.

I get -1/u = t-1 ; I then multiply by -1 to change signs: 1/u = 1-t ; and u =dx/dt, therefore dt/dx = 1-t ; and when I separate I get: dt/(1-t) = dx. Is my error somewhere there?

For reference the problem is d^2x/dt^2 = (dx/dt)^2 ; with initial conditions being: x=0 and dx/dt = 1 when t=0.

Thanks for your replies.

Hello JammyDodger, When solving these type of problems I do them slightly different. By this I mean that I leave the integration constants as they are and apply the initial and/or boundary conditions to the final solution and not earlier. I can't proof this but I suspect that in some cases you could eliminate solutions by applying the conditions at an early stage. So by leaving the integration constant, you get after the first integral:

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=u=\frac{-1}{t+C}[/tex]

or thus:

[tex]dx=\frac{-dt}{t+C}[/tex]

giving:

[tex]x=-ln(t+C)+K[/tex]

which is the general solution. Now applying the condition:

[tex]at \qquad t=0 \qquad x=0[/tex]

gives you:

[tex]K=ln(C)[/tex]

and thus:

[tex]x=ln\left( \frac{C}{t+C}\right)[/tex]

Applying the other one:

[tex]at \qquad t=0 \qquad \frac{dx}{dt}=1[/tex]

gives:

[tex]C=-1[/tex]

and thus the solution:

[tex]x=ln\left(\frac{1}{1-t}\right)[/tex]

Hope this helps. I assume that you have an error somewhere in your calculation, check it again carefully and you should end up with the correct one.

coomast

Last edited:

Related to Second Order Seperable Differential Equations

1. What is a second order separable differential equation?

A second order separable differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a second derivative of a dependent variable with respect to an independent variable, and the terms in the equation can be separated into two functions that only depend on one variable each.

2. How do you solve a second order separable differential equation?

To solve a second order separable differential equation, you must first separate the variables into two functions and then integrate both sides of the equation. This will result in a general solution with arbitrary constants. You can then use initial conditions or boundary conditions to find specific values for the constants and obtain a particular solution.

3. What are some real-life applications of second order separable differential equations?

Second order separable differential equations have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to model the motion of a pendulum, the growth of a population, or the flow of electricity in a circuit.

4. How do you know if a differential equation is second order separable?

A differential equation is considered second order separable if it can be written in the form of y'' = f(x)g(y). In other words, the dependent variable and its second derivative must be separated and only appear in terms of one variable each.

5. Can a second order separable differential equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a second order separable differential equation can have an infinite number of solutions. This is because the general solution obtained after integrating both sides of the equation will include arbitrary constants, which can take on any value. To find a particular solution, specific values for the constants must be given through initial conditions or boundary conditions.