Second order differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a second-order differential equation and finding the roots to determine the form of the solution. The solution takes the form of y=c1erx+c2xerx, and c1 and c2 can be found with two initial values.
lumpyduster

Homework Statement

So I'm in pchem right now and I haven't taken dif eq (it's not required, but I wish I had taken it now!)

I am asked to solve this differential equation:

y''+y'-2y=0

Homework Equations

I know for a second order differential equation I can solve for the roots first. If there is one root then the solution will take the form y=c1erx+c2xerx

If there are two distinct roots I will get something like:
y=c1er1x+c2er2x

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the roots

r2+r-2=0
r= -2 and r=1

So I get:

y=c1e-2x+c2ex

I am pretty sure this is correct (I checked to see if I got zero if I did y''+y'-2y and I did), but is there a way to find c1 and c2?

Physics news on Phys.org
lumpyduster said:

Homework Statement

So I'm in pchem right now and I haven't taken dif eq (it's not required, but I wish I had taken it now!)

I am asked to solve this differential equation:

y''+y'-2y=0

Homework Equations

I know for a second order differential equation I can solve for the roots first. If there is one root then the solution will take the form y=c1erx+c2xerx

If there are two distinct roots I will get something like:
y=c1er1x+c2er2x

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the roots

r2+r-2=0
r= -2 and r=1

So I get:

y=c1e-2x+c2ex

I am pretty sure this is correct (I checked to see if I got zero if I did y''+y'-2y and I did), but is there a way to find c1 and c2?

Not unless you have some initial values to work with, such as y(0) = 0 and y'(0) = 0. You'll need two initial values to determine c1 and c2.

Related to Second order differential equation

What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is an equation that involves a second derivative of an unknown function. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe systems with acceleration or changes in acceleration.

What are the types of solutions to a second order differential equation?

The solutions to a second order differential equation can be classified into three types: general solution, particular solution, and singular solution. The general solution includes all possible solutions, the particular solution satisfies specific initial conditions, and the singular solution is a solution that violates the regularity conditions.

How do you solve a second order differential equation?

The most common method for solving a second order differential equation is by using the method of undetermined coefficients. This involves finding a particular solution using a trial function and then adding it to the general solution of the homogeneous equation. Other methods include using power series and Laplace transforms.

What are the applications of second order differential equations?

Second order differential equations have numerous applications in various fields of science and engineering. They are used to model physical systems such as motion, electrical circuits, and vibrations. They are also used in population dynamics, chemical reactions, and heat transfer problems.

How does a second order differential equation differ from a first order differential equation?

A second order differential equation involves a second derivative, while a first order differential equation involves only a first derivative. This means that a second order differential equation has two independent variables, while a first order differential equation has only one. Additionally, the solutions to a second order differential equation are typically more complex and can involve both exponential and trigonometric functions.