Second Order differential equation involving chain rule

In summary, the student is trying to solve a differential equation for x(t), but is stuck because they can't seem to find the square root of 3x^4-512.
Woolyabyss

Homework Statement

Solve d^2x/dt^2 = (3x^3)/2

when dx/dt = -8 and x = 4 when t = 0

2. The attempt at a solution

v = dx/dt dv/dx = d^2/dx^2

d^2x/dt^2 = v(dv/dx) = (3x^3)/2

v dv = (3x^3)/2 dx

integrating and using limits and you get :

v^2/2 -32 = (3x^4)/8 - 96 ... 4v^2 = 3x^4 - 512

this is where I'm stuck I can take the square root of the 4v^2 but not the right hand side because of the three and the 512. I'm not sure if there is another technique I can use but finding the square root of both sides is the only way I was taught to do these problems and its the only example in the book.
Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Woolyabyss said:

Homework Statement

Solve d^2x/dt^2 = (3x^3)/2

when dx/dt = -8 and x = 4 when t = 0

2. The attempt at a solution

v = dx/dt dv/dx = d^2/dx^2

d^2x/dt^2 = v(dv/dx) = (3x^3)/2

v dv = (3x^3)/2 dx

integrating and using limits and you get :

v^2/2 -32 = (3x^4)/8 - 96 ... 4v^2 = 3x^4 - 512

this is where I'm stuck I can take the square root of the 4v^2 but not the right hand side because of the three and the 512. I'm not sure if there is another technique I can use but finding the square root of both sides is the only way I was taught to do these problems and its the only example in the book.
Any help would be appreciated.

I think you are doing fine up till there. The square root is just sqrt(3x^4-512). But then if you want to find x(t) instead of v(x) you have to integrate something like dx/sqrt(3x^4-512), and that is going into elliptic integral country. I don't think you want to go there. I think you've gotten about as far as you can reasonably expect to get.

Alright Thanks I was able to get the question after it anyway I think I'll just leave this one for now.

Related to Second Order differential equation involving chain rule

1. What is a second order differential equation involving chain rule?

A second order differential equation involving chain rule is an equation that relates the second derivative of a function to the first derivative of that function and its independent variable. It typically involves the chain rule, which is a mathematical rule for finding the derivative of a composite function.

2. How do you solve a second order differential equation involving chain rule?

To solve a second order differential equation involving chain rule, you must first rearrange the equation so that the second derivative is on one side and the rest of the equation is on the other side. Then, you can use various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors to find a solution.

3. What are some real-world applications of second order differential equations involving chain rule?

Second order differential equations involving chain rule have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to model the motion of objects under the influence of forces, describe the behavior of electrical circuits, and predict the growth of populations, among other things.

4. How does the chain rule work in a second order differential equation?

The chain rule in a second order differential equation allows us to find the derivative of a composite function, where the function itself is a composite of two or more functions. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function evaluated at the inner function, multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a second order differential equation involving chain rule?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a second order differential equation involving chain rule include not properly applying the chain rule, forgetting to include the constant of integration, and making algebraic errors. It is important to carefully check your work and make sure all steps are correct to arrive at the correct solution.