Second Law of Thermodynamics problem

In summary, the problem involves a power cycle with a net power output of 1MW and heat transfer from steam condensing to saturated liquid at a pressure of 100 kPa. The energy is discharged through heat transfer to a nearby lake at 17 deg. C. Kinetic and potential energy effects are negligible. The problem asks for the minimum theoretical mass flow rate, in kg/s, required for steady state operation. Using the formula for efficiency and mass flow rate, a solution of ~1566.2468 kg/s is obtained.
aliaze1

Homework Statement

As shown in the figure, a system undergoing a power cycle develops a net power output of 1MW while receiving energy by heat transfer from steam condensing from saturated vapor to saturated liquid at a pressure of 100 kPa. Energy is discharged from the cycle by heat transfer to a nearby lake at 17 deg. C. These are the only significant heat transfers. Kinetic and potential energy effects can be ignored. For operation at steady state, determine the minimum theoretical mass flow rate, in kg/s, required by any such cycle.

l_fa9580eece1942bfb437f74ec4e78486.jpg

Homework Equations

(the book has letters with dots above them, these are represented by 'd')

dW = dQH-dQC
l_3c57a33c37ca42b6acadd05371bce2b4.jpg
(equals zero)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I just did this problem again, and here is what I get:

I calculate efficiency, which is 1-(Tc/Th), T being in Kelvin. I get 41/186, or ~0.2204

Then I use the formila Q=W/n, n is efficiency, so it is 1000000/(41/186) = ~4536585.4

Then plugging this Q into the mass flow formula, where gz and V^2/2 are zero:

4530585.4-1000000+m(2675-417), 2675 and 417 being enthalpy values at the states given

I get a negative number, but mass flow rate can't really be negative per say, so I end up with m=1566.2468

Am I right?Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I updated the problem with my current solution (or what I think is the solution)

Please let me know if I am on track

Thanks!

Related to Second Law of Thermodynamics problem

1. What is the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that in any closed system, the total entropy (disorder) of the system will always increase over time. This means that energy will naturally flow from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration, resulting in a decrease of usable energy.

2. Why is the Second Law of Thermodynamics important?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics is important because it governs the behavior of energy in our universe. It explains why certain processes occur and why others do not. It also helps us understand the concept of entropy and its role in the natural order of things.

3. What is an example of the Second Law of Thermodynamics in action?

An example of the Second Law of Thermodynamics in action is a cup of hot coffee cooling down in a room. The heat from the coffee will naturally flow into the cooler air, resulting in a decrease in the temperature of the coffee and an increase in the overall entropy of the system.

4. Can the Second Law of Thermodynamics be violated?

No, the Second Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental law of nature and cannot be violated. While it may seem like some processes go against this law, they are actually following it in a more complex manner. For example, living organisms can decrease the entropy within their own systems, but at the cost of increasing the entropy of their surroundings.

5. How is the Second Law of Thermodynamics relevant to everyday life?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics is relevant to everyday life in many ways. It helps explain why things like food spoilage and wear and tear on machines occur. It also plays a role in the energy sources we use and the efficiency of various processes. Overall, understanding this law can give us a better understanding of the natural processes that occur in our world.