Why is the first law of thermodynamics useful in developing these equations?

In summary, the first law of thermodynamics is useful in developing the non-flow energy equation and steady-flow energy equation. This is because it allows for the separation and rearrangement of equation components, making it easier to calculate specific enthalpy and work done by the system on the surroundings. The steady flow equation also takes into account the fact that the internal energy, kinetic energy, and potential energy of the fluid in the control volume are not changing with time.
lee123456789
Homework Statement
dont know what this means
Relevant Equations
in the post
why it is first law of thermodynamics useful in developing the non-flow energy equation and steady-flow energy equation.

First Law Equation (FLE) =
Screenshot 2020-11-05 150918.png

Screenshot 2020-11-05 150600.png

Non-Flow Equation =
Screenshot 2020-11-05 150804.png

Steady-Flow Equation =
Screenshot 2020-11-05 150614.png

Specific Entrapy of Steady-Flow
Screenshot 2020-11-05 151631.png

Mass Flow
Screenshot 2020-11-05 153158.png

I understand (i think) but can't explain.
Im understand it (i think) but finding hard to explain can somebody help. is what i put fitting the question?, how do i make it better? can somebody help it

FLE can be expressed as 1.1.
The first law of thermodynamics (1) contains (kinetic energy change) & PE (potential energy change). Theses contain contain two equation components that if u minus second half from first half will equal U,KE or PE. This allows (1) RHS to be broken down and reranged into two individual equation components forming (1.1).

Non-Flow
The system is closed so is not effected by external factors so addaction components need not be included into the eqaution. FLE (1) under non-flow conditions Δ𝐾 and Δ𝑃E are negligible, so equal ( 0). Under theses conditon Δ𝐾 and Δ𝑃E are omitted from the equation forming equation (2)

Steady-Flow
for steady flow systems, the system is open so if effected by air flow so the equation is required to change to accommodate this factor. Mass flow change of area, speed or density cause mass flow change change. There is 2 mass flows, mass flow in and out. FLE (1.1) m for both equation components will be label m1 or m2. m effect all conditions within both equation components so can be brought out sided the brackets.

(U) specific internal energy is effected by specific entraphy and pressure & specific pressure. rearrange the equation allows you to determine specific entraphy of the system in and out. Specific entraphy is important for steady-flow and allows you to devople a key component of the eqaution.

I don't know what Wx (work) is and how to explain it?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-05 150614.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-05 150614.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 121
Physics news on Phys.org
In the development of the steady flow equation, the starting point is the first law equation. The terms involving KE and PE represent KE and PE flowing into and out of the control volume. The terms involving specific enthalpy are partly related to the internal energy of the streams flowing into and out of the control volume. But, in addition to this, the most important point about SFEE is that the work done by the system on the surroundings is subdivided into 2 parts: (1) work associated with pushing fluid into and out of the control volume and the remainder of the work called "shaft work" (since a rotating shaft of a turbine, compressor, or pump are typically involved) ##\dot{W_x}##. The part associated with pushing fluid into and out of the control volume is separated, and included with the specific internal energy flowing into and out of the control volume, to form the specific enthalpy of these streams. This is a very convenient way of work with an open system. In the steady flow equation, the internal energy, kinetic energy, and potential energy of the fluid contained within the control volume are not changing with time, so that part of the first law doesn't play a role in the SFEE.

Likes etotheipi
Chestermiller said:
In the development of the steady flow equation, the starting point is the first law equation. The terms involving KE and PE represent KE and PE flowing into and out of the control volume. The terms involving specific enthalpy are partly related to the internal energy of the streams flowing into and out of the control volume. But, in addition to this, the most important point about SFEE is that the work done by the system on the surroundings is subdivided into 2 parts: (1) work associated with pushing fluid into and out of the control volume and the remainder of the work called "shaft work" (since a rotating shaft of a turbine, compressor, or pump are typically involved) ##\dot{W_x}##. The part associated with pushing fluid into and out of the control volume is separated, and included with the specific internal energy flowing into and out of the control volume, to form the specific enthalpy of these streams. This is a very convenient way of work with an open system. In the steady flow equation, the internal energy, kinetic energy, and potential energy of the fluid contained within the control volume are not changing with time, so that part of the first law doesn't play a role in the SFEE.

hi

thanks
can i ask
does what i put make any sense to the question they ask me. I was looking at as math way at how to devople the equation. its my HND question

To see the development of the open system version of the first law done correctly, see

Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics by Moran et al (available as a PDF on line) and

Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics by Smith and Van Ness.

1. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How is the first law of thermodynamics useful in developing equations?

The first law of thermodynamics provides a fundamental understanding of energy conservation and allows scientists to develop equations that accurately describe energy transfer and conversion in various systems.

3. Can you give an example of how the first law of thermodynamics is applied in equations?

One example is the equation for calculating the change in internal energy of a system, which is based on the first law of thermodynamics and takes into account the heat and work exchanged by the system.

4. Why is it important to consider the first law of thermodynamics in scientific research?

The first law of thermodynamics is crucial in understanding the behavior of energy in natural and human-made systems. By considering this law, scientists can accurately predict and analyze energy changes and make informed decisions in their research.

5. How does the first law of thermodynamics relate to other laws of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics is the foundation of the other laws of thermodynamics. It is essential in understanding the concepts of energy, work, and heat, which are further explored in the second and third laws of thermodynamics.