Searching for a Comprehensive Cosmology Reference Guide

In summary, the person is looking for a comprehensive and up-to-date reference on cosmology that is not too heavy on formulas and proofs. They mention two classical books, "Principles of Physical Cosmology" by Peebles and "Cosmological Physics" by Peacock, but the reviews on Amazon are not very positive. Another suggestion is volume 3 of Padnamabhan's "Theoretical Astrophysics." However, it seems the person prefers Peebles as the stronger option.
hellfire
Science Advisor
I am searching for a complete and extensive reference (or a reference set) about cosmology. It should be up to date and, if possible, with not too much formulas without proofs. It seams there are two classical books:

Principles of Physical Cosmology, Peebles.
Cosmological Physics, Peacock.

But the review comments in amazon are not very enthusiastic. Does anyone know these or other books?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've used both Peacock and Peebles. While Cosmological Physics is a good book on Cosmology, the sections on GR and QFT aren't all that great and you'd be best to look elsewhere. They have a serious 'skimmed over' feel to them. I'd say Peebles is the stronger of the two.

I've heard good things about volume 3 of Padnamabhan's 'Theoretical Astrophysics', but not personally got around to reading it.

Hello, thank you for reaching out. I understand your search for a comprehensive cosmology reference guide. The two books you mentioned, Principles of Physical Cosmology by Peebles and Cosmological Physics by Peacock, are indeed well-known and widely used in the field of cosmology. However, as you mentioned, the reviews on Amazon may not be very enthusiastic. It is important to note that every book will have its own strengths and weaknesses, and what may not work for one reader may be perfect for another.

In addition to those two books, I would also suggest looking into "The Cosmic Perspective" by Bennett, Donahue, Schneider, and Voit. It is a highly regarded textbook that covers a wide range of topics in cosmology, including recent developments and discoveries. It also includes numerous diagrams and visuals to aid in understanding concepts without relying heavily on formulas.

Another book that may be of interest is "Cosmology" by Steven Weinberg, a Nobel Prize-winning physicist. It is a bit more technical than the previous suggestion, but it provides a comprehensive and in-depth look at the subject.

Lastly, I would recommend checking out online resources such as NASA's website, which offers a wealth of information and resources on cosmology. There are also various online courses and lectures available from universities and institutions that could serve as a comprehensive guide to cosmology.

I hope these suggestions help in your search for a comprehensive cosmology reference guide. Remember to consider your own learning style and preferences when choosing a book or resource. Best of luck in your studies!

Related to Searching for a Comprehensive Cosmology Reference Guide

1. What is a cosmology reference guide?

A cosmology reference guide is a comprehensive resource that provides information and explanations about the fundamental concepts, theories, and phenomena related to the study of the universe and its origins, such as the Big Bang theory, dark matter, and the expansion of the universe.

2. Why is a comprehensive cosmology reference guide important?

A comprehensive cosmology reference guide is important because it allows scientists and researchers to have a complete and reliable source of information about the latest developments and theories in cosmology. It also serves as a valuable tool for students and enthusiasts who want to learn more about the subject.

3. How is a cosmology reference guide different from other resources?

A cosmology reference guide differs from other resources, such as books or articles, in that it covers a wide range of topics in one source. It also provides in-depth explanations and references to other sources, making it a more comprehensive and reliable reference for cosmology.

4. Who can benefit from using a cosmology reference guide?

Anyone with an interest in cosmology can benefit from using a cosmology reference guide. Scientists and researchers can use it as a reliable source of information and references for their work. Students can use it as a study guide and reference for their coursework. Enthusiasts can use it to expand their knowledge and understanding of the universe.

5. How can I find a comprehensive cosmology reference guide?

A comprehensive cosmology reference guide can be found in various forms, such as online databases, books, and journals. It is important to ensure that the source is reputable and regularly updated to provide the most accurate information. Some universities and institutions also offer access to cosmology reference guides through their libraries or online resources.