Search for an Undergraduate Major

In summary, when searching for an undergraduate major, it is important to consider factors such as your interests and strengths, career goals, job market demand, potential salary, and the curriculum and resources offered by the program. To determine which major is right for you, you can take career assessments, research different majors, talk to academic advisors and students, and try out different courses. Many colleges and universities allow students to double major or combine majors, but it is important to consider the workload and requirements. The reputation of the school can be a factor, but it should not be the sole determining factor. If you are undecided about your major, you can explore your interests and strengths through courses and seek guidance from academic advisors, career counselors, and peers.
rwisz
First and foremost, I'm going into the U.S. Navy through ROTC or the United States Naval Academy, so unless I become a Scholar of somesort, I will not be pursuing a graduate degree right off the bat. It would be a couple years before that becomes available. (Just felt that it should be known that I can't just go straight on to the further degrees.)

Now then, I've been interested in computers and programming now for a good many years of my young life, and achieved much success in this field, so for the longest time, I was a devotee to a Computer Science degree, because that was just how it was going to be.

Well I'm now a senior and that idea is completely out the window. I don't think I could stand majoring in Computer Science unless it was forced upon me, easy for me-YES, interesting to me anymore-NO.

So I decided for the time being, Computer Engineering would give me the basis for almost any Engineering/Math degree for a first semester if I waited that long.

And then physics comes into play. I've recently begun reading an enormous amount of higher level physics literature (quantum, relativity, etc), and I must say, I'm hooked. I'm reading more books near-daily and never getting bored with it whatsoever. Theory has always been something that highly interests me, and I've always strived to think of new ways of explaining things, and "thinking outside of the box" on many of the subjects I've been taught in school.

It boils down to this: I want to learn as much as possible in my 4 years of college, and I've never been particularly good at math until Calculus came along (challenges make me work and understand) so I want to have a struggle on my hands to promote success. Possible majors I'm considering right now are: Computer Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Science

I'd love as much input as possible if you felt like reading this book of a post. Thanks greatly.

Physics news on Phys.org

First and foremost, congratulations on your decision to join the U.S. Navy and pursue a career in the military. I commend your dedication and commitment to serving your country.

In terms of your academic pursuits, it is important to keep in mind that your undergraduate degree is just the beginning of your educational journey. As you mentioned, graduate degrees may not be immediately available to you, but they are certainly an option for your future.

Based on your interests and strengths, it seems like a degree in computer engineering or computer science would be a good fit for you. However, I understand your hesitation towards pursuing a degree in computer science due to it no longer being as interesting to you. It is important to choose a major that you are passionate about and will challenge you to learn and grow.

In terms of your interest in physics, I would highly recommend considering a major in engineering science. This interdisciplinary field combines elements of engineering, mathematics, and physics, and may provide a more well-rounded education for you. Additionally, with your background and interest in computer science, you may also find opportunities to incorporate programming and technology into your studies within this major.

Ultimately, the most important thing is to choose a major that you are passionate about and will challenge you to learn and grow. It is also important to keep in mind that your major does not necessarily dictate your career path, and there are always opportunities to explore different fields through internships, research, and other experiences.

I wish you the best of luck in your academic pursuits and future career in the Navy.

I can understand your desire to learn as much as possible in your undergraduate years. It is commendable that you are considering multiple majors and seeking input before making a decision.

Based on your interests and strengths, I would suggest considering a major in Engineering Science or Physics. Both of these fields involve theoretical thinking and problem-solving skills, which you have shown a strong aptitude for. Additionally, both of these majors can provide a solid foundation for a variety of graduate degrees, should you choose to pursue one in the future.

Computer Engineering may also be a good option for you, as it combines elements of both computer science and engineering. However, if you are feeling burnt out on computer science, it may be worth exploring other options before committing to this major.

I would also encourage you to speak with advisors and professors in each of these departments to get a better understanding of the coursework and potential career paths. It may also be helpful to shadow or intern with professionals in these fields to gain a better understanding of the day-to-day work.

Ultimately, the most important factor in choosing a major is to find something that you are passionate about and will enjoy studying. It sounds like you have a strong interest in physics, so I would encourage you to explore that further. Best of luck in your decision-making process!

Related to Search for an Undergraduate Major

1. What factors should I consider when searching for an undergraduate major?

There are several factors to consider when searching for an undergraduate major. These include your interests and strengths, career goals, job market demand, potential salary, and the curriculum and resources offered by the program.

2. How do I know which major is right for me?

It can be helpful to take career assessments, research different majors and their requirements, talk to academic advisors and students in different majors, and try out different courses to see which subjects you enjoy and excel in.

3. Can I double major or combine majors?

Yes, many colleges and universities allow students to double major or combine majors. However, it is important to consider the workload and requirements for each major to ensure you can successfully complete both programs within the allotted time.

4. How important is the reputation of the school for my major?

The reputation of the school can be a factor to consider, but it should not be the sole determining factor in your decision. It is more important to find a program that aligns with your interests and career goals and provides the resources and opportunities you need to succeed.

5. What should I do if I am undecided about my major?

If you are unsure about your major, it is important to explore your interests and strengths through courses, internships, and extracurricular activities. You can also seek guidance from academic advisors, career counselors, and peers to help you make an informed decision.