Science knowledge level next to username

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter FtlIsAwesome
  • Start date
In summary, the idea was proposed that users show their educational background along with their username, but it was not well received. People thought it was unnecessary and would cause problems. There is already a feature to show this information, and it's not accurate.
FtlIsAwesome
Gold Member
Near someone's username, there's various information. Number of posts, recognitions, etc.

I suggest adding a feature, maybe optional for the user, to show one's educational background along with these.

This way people will know your level of knowledge right away, and can write their posts accordingly. Repliers will know whether they are talking to a high schooler, or someone with a PhD, etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
This has been suggested before. The consensus was that it doesn't really help since 1) people can say whatever they want and 2) on the other end, people can usually tell by how a user poses a question as to what their educational background is and can answer accordingly.

No thank you.

I'd also add that this would cause people to ignore posts by those who they feel are under qualified (or not qualified), regardless of the content and accuracy of their posts.

I feel this is something that already happens with post counts to some extent.

FtlIsAwesome said:
I suggest adding a feature, maybe optional for the user, to show one's educational background along with these.

And how are you going to check them?

There is a place to put educational background info on your profile page, on the "About Me" tab. It's optional, of course.

There's of course also the problem that knowledge is not linear. Somebody with a PhD is biology doesn't necessary know much about quantum mechanics, and conversely. And if such a person asks something about quantum mechanics, then the last thing he wants is getting an answer on a PhD-level...

Something I encourage everybody to do, and which I somethimes asks when answering somebody, is posting some background information. That includes their knowledge level, what courses they are following now, why they ask the question,... That makes it easier to answer the question on a suitable level. But I don't know if it's feasible to post it under somebody's username...

micromass said:
There's of course also the problem that knowledge is not linear. Somebody with a PhD is biology doesn't necessary know much about quantum mechanics, and conversely. And if such a person asks something about quantum mechanics, then the last thing he wants is getting an answer on a PhD-level...
Good point.

jarednjames said:
I'd also add that this would cause people to ignore posts by those who they feel are under qualified (or not qualified), regardless of the content and accuracy of their posts.

I feel this is something that already happens with post counts to some extent.

Wait wait, you mean you don't need a phd in Physics to solve my 11th grade F = ma problem??

Pengwuino said:
Wait wait, you mean you don't need a phd in Physics to solve my 11th grade F = ma problem??

I know, absurd isn't it!

Apparently, only having a bachelors and not a phd underqualifies you in some peoples eyes. :rolleyes:

Well, if you're going to solve my 1-d kinematics problems, you'd better have a PhD in theoretical physics! :-p

And while you're at it, arm bands. . .

I think the recognition medals give enough information about the quality of a users posts. In fact, the recognitions are more relevant because they are based directly on a user's posts on PF. The content and usefulness of a user's posts is readily apparent and easily verified by the community. This is not so with a degree.

I can see the OP's point. Think about it this way; some people may look at my glamorizing PF Contributor label, the fancy gold font color of my handle, plus my avatar- and they may think that I know something about something. But seriously, I haven't got a clue. I would be blowing nothing but smoke if I were to comment on a vast majority of issues here.

Last edited:
MacLaddy said:
I can see the OP's point. Think about it this way; some people may look at my glamorizing PF Contributor label, the fancy gold font color of my handle, plus my avatar- and they may think that I know something about something. But seriously, I haven't got a clue. I would be blowing nothing but smoke if I were to comment on a vast majority of issues here.

Except for the fact that there's quite a bit of monitoring being done not just by the mentors, but also by other responsible members. So you won't be blowing your smoke for very long in this forum.

The "medals" that were given to members (such as Homework Helpers or Science Advisors) were never given based on "educational background". As has been mentioned, there is no way for any of us to verify such information. Rather, these are given based on a history of "performance" in this forum. That is a more accurate indicator of the expertise of a particular member than anything else.

Zz.

Related to Science knowledge level next to username

1. What is a "science knowledge level" next to a username?

A "science knowledge level" next to a username refers to a way for individuals to showcase their level of knowledge and understanding in the field of science. It can be displayed on online forums or communities to help others gauge the expertise of the user.

2. How is a science knowledge level determined?

A science knowledge level is typically determined by assessing an individual's education, experience, and achievements in the field of science. It can also be based on their participation in scientific discussions or contributions to scientific research.

3. What are the benefits of displaying a science knowledge level next to a username?

Displaying a science knowledge level can help others understand the credibility and expertise of the user in scientific discussions. It can also encourage healthy and informed discussions among individuals with similar levels of knowledge.

4. Can anyone display a science knowledge level next to their username?

Yes, anyone can display a science knowledge level next to their username, as long as they have the necessary knowledge and understanding in the field of science. It is important to be honest and accurate when determining and displaying your level.

5. Is a science knowledge level a reliable measure of someone's scientific knowledge?

While a science knowledge level can provide some insights into someone's understanding and expertise in science, it should not be the sole measure of their knowledge. Factors such as practical experience and continuous learning also play a crucial role in determining one's scientific knowledge.