Schwarzschild coordinate time integral

In summary, the conversation discusses integration by parts in the context of a specific problem involving c dt, r, and r*. The integrand is rewritten in terms of a new variable x, and the question arises of how to integrate x^(1/2)/(1-x). The suggestion is made to use substitution by letting x=u^2 and dx=2u du.
shinobi20
Homework Statement
Integrate ##c dt = -\frac{1}{\sqrt{r*}} \frac{r^{3/2} dr}{r - r*}## to find the coordinate time as opposed to the proper time of an object falling into a Schwarzschild black hole.
Relevant Equations
##t## - coordinate time
##r## - radial coordinate
##r^*## - Schwarzschild radius (constant)
I have tried integration by parts where,

##c dt = -\frac{1}{\sqrt{r*}} \frac{r^{3/2} dr}{r - r*} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{(r*)^3}} \frac{r^{3/2} dr}{1 - \Big(\sqrt{\frac{r}{r*}} \Big)^2}##

##u = r^{3/2} \quad \quad dv = \frac{dr}{1 - \Big(\sqrt{\frac{r}{r*}} \Big)^2}##

##du = \frac{3}{2} r^{1/2} dr \quad \quad v = \tanh^{-1} \Big(\sqrt{\frac{r}{r*}} \Big)##

I think this is not the correct route.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{c\ dt}{r_s}=\frac{x^{3/2}}{1-x}dx=[-x^{1/2}+\frac{x^{1/2}}{1-x}]dx[/tex]
where ##x=\frac{r}{r_s}## and ##r_s## is Schwartzshild radius.
Integration seems easy.

mitochan said:
[tex]\frac{c\ dt}{r_s}=\frac{x^{3/2}}{1-x}dx=[-x^{1/2}+\frac{x^{1/2}}{1-x}]dx[/tex]
where ##x=\frac{r}{r_s}## and ##r_s## is Schwartzshild radius.
Integration seems easy.

How do I integrate ##\frac{x^{1/2}}{1-x}##? I have done integration by parts but I can't find the answer.

*I could just use Mathematica but I want to learn how to deal with this kind of integral by hand.

How about x=u^2 dx=2u du ?

Likes shinobi20

Related to Schwarzschild coordinate time integral

What is the Schwarzschild coordinate time integral?

The Schwarzschild coordinate time integral is a mathematical tool used in general relativity to calculate the time dilation between two events in a space-time described by the Schwarzschild metric. It takes into account the effects of gravity on the flow of time.

How is the Schwarzschild coordinate time integral calculated?

The integral is calculated by integrating the Schwarzschild metric over the path connecting two events in space-time. This path is described by the coordinates of the events and is known as the geodesic. The result of the integral is a factor that represents the time dilation between the two events.

What is the significance of the Schwarzschild coordinate time integral?

The integral is significant because it allows us to understand the effects of gravity on time, which was a major breakthrough in understanding the laws of physics. It also plays a crucial role in many practical applications, such as in GPS technology and the study of black holes.

Can the Schwarzschild coordinate time integral be used to calculate time dilation in all situations?

No, the integral is only applicable in situations where the gravitational field is static and spherically symmetric, such as in the vicinity of a non-rotating massive object. For more complex situations, different mathematical tools, such as the Kerr metric, must be used.

Are there any limitations to the Schwarzschild coordinate time integral?

Yes, the integral is limited by its assumptions of a static and spherically symmetric gravitational field. It also does not take into account other factors that may affect the flow of time, such as relative motion or the effects of other forces. Therefore, it is important to use caution when applying the integral in practical situations.