Scalar Equations: How to solve them

• Thread starter abhimanipal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scalar
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the divide and conquer algorithm to solve for eigenvalues of a matrix, and specifically focuses on a scalar equation that is transformed into another form. The author uses summation and matrix multiplication to explain this transformation and provides links for further understanding. There is a question about the use of d_{j} in the equation, which is clarified by noting that D is a diagonal matrix.
abhimanipal
Hi,
My name is Abhishek Agrawal. I am a grad student in Computer Science. I know very little about scalar equations. But my research has led me to them and I am at my wits end on how to go about solving them. I have looked around every where but I am unable to start.

Homework Statement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divide-and-conquer_eigenvalue_algorithm

This is a Wikipedia link on how to use the divide and conquer algorithm to solve for eigen values of a matrix. I understood most of the stuff but towards the end of the link, the author ends up with this equation

1 + wT(D − λI)−1 w = 0

which is a scalar equation. He transforms this equation into an another form. (The formatting came bad on this post, better to view it in Wiki)

1 + \sum_{j=1}^{m} \frac{w_{j}^{2}}{d_{j} - \lambda} = 0.

What I cannot understand is how is the summation applied. How does the author get the wj and dj terms from the matrix . Is he using an entire row or is there some thing I am missing ?

I would appreciate if some one could give me some links so as to what I am missing or could point me to some tutorials
Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: if you wrap the TeX code in tex tags (type [ tex ] without the spaces, then this code, then [ / tex ] without the spaces - ie [/tex]), then you will get a nice formatting, like so:
[tex]1 + \sum_{j=1}^{m} \frac{w_{j}^{2}}{d_{j} - \lambda} = 0. [/tex]

Answer to your question: note that D is a diagonal matrix. Therefore, D - λI is a diagonal matrix as well, looking like
[tex]D - \lambda I = \begin{pmatrix} d_1 - \lambda & & 0 \\ & \ddots & \\ 0 & & d_m - \lambda \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

The inverse of this matrix is then simply
[tex](D - \lambda I)^{-1} = \begin{pmatrix} 1/( d_1 - \lambda ) & \cdots & 0 \\ \vdots & \ddots & \\ 0 & & 1 / (d_m - \lambda) \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

If you now perform the matrix multiplication explicitly for a vector w = (w1, ..., wm) you will find the second expression.

Thank you for your quick reply. I need one more clarification.
When the author writes
[tex]
1 + \sum_{j=1}^{m} \frac{w_{j}^{2}}{d_{j} - \lambda} = 0.
[/tex]

in this equation [tex]d_{j} [/tex], does this mean [tex]d_{j,j} [/tex] ?

Related to Scalar Equations: How to solve them

1. What is a scalar equation?

A scalar equation is a mathematical expression that has only one variable and involves multiplication and addition or subtraction. It represents a relationship between two quantities, where one quantity is a multiple of the other.

2. How do you solve a scalar equation?

To solve a scalar equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation and perform the inverse operation on both sides. This will leave the variable on one side and the constant on the other, giving you the value of the variable.

3. What are the common techniques used to solve scalar equations?

The most common techniques used to solve scalar equations are substitution, elimination, and graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the variable and find its value.

4. Can scalar equations have more than one solution?

Yes, scalar equations can have more than one solution. This is because the same value can satisfy the equation, making it a true statement. However, some equations may have no solution if the two sides of the equation never equal each other.

5. How are scalar equations used in real life?

Scalar equations are used in various fields of science and engineering to represent relationships between different quantities. They are also used in finance and economics to calculate interest rates and predict future values. Additionally, they are used in everyday life, such as calculating the cost of groceries or splitting a bill among friends.