S4.12.9.13 find a power series representation

In summary, the power series representation of the function f_13(x) is given by: $\frac{1}{(1+x)^2}=\frac{1}{1+2x+x^2}$. The radius of convergence is given by: 0+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(n(-1)^{n-1}x^{n-1}\right).
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\tiny{s4.12.9.13}$
$\textsf{find a power series reprsentation and determine the radius of covergence.}$
$$\displaystyle f_{13}(x)
=\frac{1}{(1+x)^2}=\frac{1}{1+2x+x^2}$$
$\textsf{using equation 1 }$
$$\frac{1}{1-x}
=1+x+x^2+x^3+ \cdots
=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}x^n \, \,
\left| x \right|<1$$
$\textsf{with this could we replace x
with $(-2x-x^2)$ in equation $1$}$
☕

Physics news on Phys.org
I would begin by observing that:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{(x+1)^2}=-\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{1}{1+x}\right)\)

Can you proceed?

MarkFL said:
I would begin by observing that:

do you mean with this
$$\frac{1}{x-(-x)}=$$

karush said:
do you mean with this
$$\frac{1}{x-(-x)}=$$

No, here's what I had in mind:

Okay, now, let's write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{1+x}=\frac{1}{1-(-x)}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-x)^n=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^nx^n\) where \(\displaystyle |-x|<1\implies |x|<1\)

So, now we have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{(x+1)^2}=-\frac{d}{dx}\left(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^nx^n\right)=\frac{d}{dx}\left(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{n-1}x^n\right)\)

Okay, now differentiate the series term by term, then strip off the first zero term, and re-index...what do you get?

Given the linearity of differentiation, that is:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(\sum_{k=0}^{n}f_k(x)\right)=\sum_{k=0}^{n}\left(\frac{d}{dx}f_k(x)\right)\)

We may then write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{(x+1)^2}=\frac{d}{dx}\left(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{n-1}x^n\right)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left(\frac{d}{dx}\left((-1)^{n-1}x^n\right)\right)\)

Now, carry out the indicated differentiation using the power rule:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{(x+1)^2}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left(n(-1)^{n-1}x^{n-1}\right)\)

We then make the observation that this can be written as:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{(x+1)^2}=0+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(n(-1)^{n-1}x^{n-1}\right)\)

Now, re-index the summation:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{(x+1)^2}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left((n+1)(-1)^{n}x^{n}\right)\)

And we now have our power series representation. :D

thank you deeply for the help, I'm not able to attend class right now so this helps a lot...

Tayor series is next, of which is new☕

Related to S4.12.9.13 find a power series representation

1. What is a power series representation?

A power series representation is a mathematical expression that represents a function as a sum of infinitely many terms, each of which is a constant multiplied by a variable raised to a non-negative integer power.

2. How is a power series representation useful?

A power series representation allows us to approximate a function with a polynomial, which can make it easier to evaluate and analyze the function. It also helps us to find patterns and relationships between different functions.

3. What is the process for finding a power series representation?

The process for finding a power series representation involves identifying the function, determining its domain, and then using the formula for a power series to find the coefficients of the terms. These coefficients can be found by taking derivatives of the function and evaluating them at a certain point. The final step is to write out the series using the coefficients and the variable raised to the appropriate powers.

4. Can any function have a power series representation?

No, not all functions have a power series representation. The function must be infinitely differentiable and have a finite radius of convergence in order for a power series representation to exist.

5. How do I know if my power series representation is accurate?

You can check the accuracy of your power series representation by comparing it to the original function. This can be done by plugging in values for the variable and comparing the resulting values. Additionally, you can use mathematical tools such as the Ratio Test or the Root Test to determine the convergence of the series and therefore the accuracy of the representation.