242.13.3 Taylor remander formula

In summary, we were given the task of finding the series representation of $e^{-3x}$ and $e^{x^3}$ using the known series expansion of $e^x = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}$. We first recall the series expansion and then use it to obtain the series representation for $e^{-3x}$ and $e^{x^3}$. There are different methods to approach this task, such as using the derivative or simplifying the expression. Finally, we conclude with an expression for $e^{x^3}$ and express our gratitude for the help received in understanding the material.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\tiny{242.13.3}$
$\textsf{1. Using the known series expansion of
$\displaystyle e^x = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}$, find the series representation of}\\$
$\textsf{a. $e^{-3x}$}\\$
$\textsf{b. $e^{x^3}$}$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
karush said:
$\tiny{242.13.3}$
$\textsf{1. Using the known series expansion of
$\displaystyle e^x = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}$, find the series representation of}\\$
$\textsf{a. $e^{-3x}$}\\$

Hi karush!

I think you've already found that:
$$e^x=1+x+\frac 12 x^2 + \frac 1{3!}x^3 + ...$$
So for $e^{-3x}$, we get:
$$e^{-3x}=1+(-3x)+\frac 12 (-3x)^2 + \frac 1{3!}(-3x)^3 + ...$$

karush said:
$\textsf{b. $e^{x^3}$}$
This is the way I'd suggest as it gives you more practice.

\(\displaystyle f(x) = e^{x^3}\)

\(\displaystyle f'(x) = e^{x^3} \cdot 3x^2\)

\(\displaystyle f''(x) = \left [ \left ( e^{x^3} \right ) \cdot \left ( 3x^2 \right ) \right ] '\)

\(\displaystyle f''(x) = \left ( e^{x^3} \cdot 3x^2 \right ) \cdot 3x^2 + \left ( e^{x^3} \right ) \cdot 6x = \left ( 9x^4 + 6x \right ) \cdot e^{x^3}\)

Rinse and repeat.

Or you could do it I Like Serena's way:
\(\displaystyle e^x = 1 + x + \frac{1}{2}x^2 + \frac{1}{6}x^3 + \text{ ...}\)

Thus
\(\displaystyle e^{x^3} = 1 + \left ( x^3 \right ) + \frac{1}{2} \left ( x^3 \right ) ^2 + \text{ ...}\)

-Dan

much mahalo...

I was struggling looking for examples but wasn't to clear

the help here has really helped me a lot😎

I'm only able to attend the class once a week so I am kinda on the fringe.
☕

Related to 242.13.3 Taylor remander formula

1) What is the "242.13.3 Taylor remainder formula" used for?

The "242.13.3 Taylor remainder formula" is a mathematical formula used in calculus to approximate the error in a Taylor series approximation of a function. It helps to determine how close the approximation is to the actual value of the function.

2) How is the "242.13.3 Taylor remainder formula" derived?

The "242.13.3 Taylor remainder formula" is derived from the Taylor series, which is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms that are calculated from the values of the function's derivatives at a single point. The remainder formula is then used to estimate the error in the Taylor series approximation.

3) What is the significance of the number "242.13.3" in the "242.13.3 Taylor remainder formula"?

The number "242.13.3" is a placeholder and does not have any specific significance in the "242.13.3 Taylor remainder formula". It is used to represent the order of the remainder term, which depends on the number of terms used in the Taylor series approximation.

4) How accurate is the "242.13.3 Taylor remainder formula"?

The accuracy of the "242.13.3 Taylor remainder formula" depends on the number of terms used in the Taylor series approximation. The more terms that are used, the smaller the error will be. However, it is important to note that the Taylor series approximation is only an approximation and may not be exact.

5) In what situations would the "242.13.3 Taylor remainder formula" be used?

The "242.13.3 Taylor remainder formula" is commonly used in calculus and physics to estimate the error in a Taylor series approximation of a function. It can also be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. Additionally, it is used in numerical analysis to evaluate the accuracy of numerical methods.