Rotation Mechanics [disk-axle mechanism]

In summary, we have a disc rotating with constant angular velocity and a rod connected to it at one end and a freely moving ring at the other. At an instant when the rod is making an angle of 30º with the vertical, the ring has a velocity in the upward direction. Using the fact that the length of the rod remains constant, we can find the angular velocity of the disc by considering the horizontal and vertical components of the rod's length. By equating these components, we can obtain the angular velocity in terms of the velocity of the ring and the length of the rod.
rohanprabhu
[SOLVED] Rotation Mechanics [disk-axle mechanism]

Homework Statement

Q. A disc is fixed at its center O and rotating with constant angular velocity [itex]\omega[/itex]. There is a rod whose one end is connected at A on the disc and the other end is connected with a ring which can freely move along the fixed vertical smooth rod. At an instant when the rod is making an angle 30º with the vertical the ring is found to have a velocity [itex]v[/itex] in the upward direction. Find [itex]\omega[/itex] of the disk. Given that the point A is R/2 distance vertically above the point O and length of the rod AB is l.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/4992/rotadiscaxlecl9.jpg

Homework Equations

I don't know.. maybe:

[tex]v = r\omega[/tex]
[tex]\tau = I^2\alpha[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The point 'A' moves in the inner circle of radius 'R/2'. I tried marking two positions in the inner rim, at 'A' and 'a' where the angle made by the axle with the vertical rod is [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\theta + d\theta[/itex]. The angle at the cross section of the two impressions of the rod comes out to be [itex]d\theta[/itex].

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7963/rotadiscaxleattit6.jpg

I somehow need to equate it with the angular displacement for the disk. The key idea here, however is that the length of the rod will remain constant. I'm just not able to understand as to how i go about using that...

also.. i think that if i can somehow prove that this is the case of rotation about a fixed point on the rod, then things will become much easier. how do i go about doing this?

any help is greatly appreciated. thanks...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Whether the disc and the vertical rod are in the same plane? Whether the point A on the rod is firmly fixed or pivot around A?

Last edited:
rl.bhat said:
Whether the disc and the vertical rod are in the same plane? Whether the point A on the rod is firmly fixed or pivot around A?

Point 'A' is exactly above the center of the circle when the axle makes 30º with the vertical rod. At other times, it is a point on a concentric circle on the disc of radius R/2.

And yes, they are in the same plane...

Take advantage of the fact that the length of the rod doesn't change. View its length as having vertical and horizontal components (Y & X, say). At the moment in question, the horizontal component is increasing at the rate of [itex]\omega R[/itex] (since end A is moving horizontally), so at what rate must the vertical component decrease to keep the length constant? (Think in terms of differentials.)

ok.. so here's what I've assumed. Have a look at the figure:

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/1679/solutiononeen5.jpg

I've dropped a perpendicular on the vertical rod from the point 'A' at 'B'. I've taken the distance of this horizontal as 'y'. Also, the distance from the point of contact of the rod and the axle and 'B' is taken as 'x'.

So, we have:

[tex]
x^2 + y^2 = l^2
[/tex]

diff. both sides w.r.t. time:

[tex]
2x\frac{dx}{dt} + 2y\frac{dy}{dt} = 0
[/tex]

Now, here [itex]\frac{dx}{dt} = v[/itex] and [itex]\frac{dy}{dt} = \frac{R\omega}{2}[/itex]

on substituting these values, i get:

[tex]
v = -\frac{y}{x} \frac{R\omega}{2}
[/tex]

here, [itex]\frac{y}{x} = tan(\frac{\pi}{6}) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}[/itex]

So,

[tex]
\omega = -\frac{2\sqrt{3}v}{R}
[/tex]

is it right??

I have an option like that.. but they're all positive... what does my negative sign indicate? Although it does indicates the direction of axis of rotation.. but ofcourse it has to be relative to the assumptions i have taken for sign convention. So, relative to what exactly is the positive sign...

Last edited by a moderator:
rohanprabhu said:
So, we have:

[tex]
x^2 + y^2 = l^2
[/tex]

diff. both sides w.r.t. time:

[tex]
2x\frac{dx}{dt} + 2y\frac{dy}{dt} = 0
[/tex]

Now, here [itex]\frac{dx}{dt} = v[/itex]
Looks good.
and [itex]\frac{dy}{dt} = \frac{R\omega}{2}[/itex]
Why did you divide by 2? [Correction: Looks good!]
on substituting these values, i get:

[tex]
v = -\frac{y}{x} \frac{R\omega}{2}
[/tex]

here, [itex]\frac{y}{x} = tan(\frac{\pi}{6}) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}[/itex]

So,

[tex]
\omega = -\frac{2\sqrt{3}v}{R}
[/tex]

is it right??
Except for that factor of 2. [Correction: Looks good!]

I have an option like that.. but they're all positive... what does my negative sign indicate? Although it does indicates the direction of axis of rotation.. but ofcourse it has to be relative to the assumptions i have taken for sign convention. So, relative to what exactly is the positive sign...
The vertical component of the rod length (your X value) decreases (thus is negative) at the same rate that end B rises (and is thus positive).

Edit: I was taking R as the distance from point A to the axis, but that distance is R/2 not R. Thanks to Shooting star for pointing out my error.

Last edited:
The rotating point where one end of the rod is fixed is at a dist of R/2 from the centre.

Shooting star said:
The rotating point where one end of the rod is fixed is at a dist of R/2 from the centre.
D'oh! My bad. (I'll correct my error in the previous post. Thanks, Ss!)

Doc Al said:
The vertical component of the rod length (your X value) decreases (thus is negative) at the same rate that end B rises (and is thus positive).

k. I get it now.

thanks a lot to everybody who helped me out. Doc Al, shooting star.. u guys r gr8 :D
thanks again..

Related to Rotation Mechanics [disk-axle mechanism]

What is rotation mechanics?

Rotation mechanics is the study of the movement and stability of objects that rotate, such as wheels, gears, and pulleys. It involves understanding the forces and motions involved in rotational motion.

What is a disk-axle mechanism?

A disk-axle mechanism is a system that uses a disk (such as a wheel) and an axle (a rod or shaft) to transfer rotational motion. The disk is attached to the axle and as it rotates, it causes the axle to rotate as well.

How does a disk-axle mechanism work?

A disk-axle mechanism works by transferring torque (rotational force) from the disk to the axle. This torque causes the axle to rotate, which can then be used to power other parts of a machine or device.

What are some real-world applications of rotation mechanics and disk-axle mechanisms?

Rotation mechanics and disk-axle mechanisms are used in many everyday objects, such as cars (for the wheels and transmission), bicycles (for the pedals and gears), and even simple machines like windmills (for the blades and shaft). They are also commonly used in industrial machinery and manufacturing processes.

What factors affect the stability and efficiency of a disk-axle mechanism?

The stability and efficiency of a disk-axle mechanism can be affected by a variety of factors, including the size and weight of the disk and axle, the materials they are made of, the surface friction between them, and the amount of torque applied. Proper lubrication and alignment of the mechanism can also impact its stability and efficiency.