Rolling motion in a special ramp

In summary, the acceleration of the center of mass of a sphere rolling down without sliding can be calculated using the given equation a= \frac{g\cdot \sin(\theta)}{1+\frac{2}{5}\cdot \frac{1}{1-\frac{1}{4}\cdot \xi^2}}, where \xi=\frac{L}{R} and the moment of inertia of the sphere is I_{sphere}=\frac{2}{5}\cdot M\cdot R^2. This can be simplified by substituting the given equations for I and \xi, leading to the final equation a= \frac{g\sin\theta}{1 + \frac{2}{5}\frac{1
benf.stokes

Homework Statement

Assuming the sphere roles down without sliding prove that the acceleration of it's center of mass is:

[tex] a= \frac{g\cdot \sin(\theta)}{1+\frac{2}{5}\cdot \frac{1}{1-\frac{1}{4}\cdot \xi^2}}[/tex]

[tex]Where \ \xi=\frac{L}{R}[/tex]

Note that the moment of inertia of the sphere is:

[tex]I_{sphere}=\frac{2}{5}\cdot M\cdot R^2[/tex]

SemTtulo-1.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]\tau= F\cdot r\cdot \sin(\varphi)[/tex]

[tex]\alpha\cdot R=a[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The forces acting on the sphere are: the normal force, the force of gravity and the frictional force. The sum of the y components of the normal force will be equal to [tex]M\cdot g[/tex] and the sum of the x components will be 0. So that the sum of torques due to the normal force is zero as well as torques due to the sphere's weight.

[tex]\tau_{a}=F_{a}\cdot R\cdot \sin(\varphi)[/tex]

Where we have by the figure:

[tex]\sin(\varphi)= \frac{\sqrt{R^2-(\frac{L}{2}^2)}}{R}= \sqrt{1-\frac{1}{4}\cdot \xi^2}[/tex]

So we have that:

[tex] \left\{ \begin{array}{ccc} 2\cdot F_{a}\cdot R\cdot \sqrt{1-\frac{1}{4}\cdot \xi^2} & = & I\cdot \alpha \\ -2\cdot F_{a} + M\cdot g\cdot \sin(\theta) & = & M\cdot a \end{array} \right. [/tex]

Which will yield:

[tex]F_{a}= \frac{I\cdot a}{2\cdot R^2\cdot \sqrt{1-\frac{1}{4}\cdot \xi^2}}[/tex]

After some manipulation you arive to

[tex]a=\frac{M\cdot g\cdot \sin(\theta)}{M+\frac{I}{R^2\cdot \sqrt{1-\frac{1}{4}\cdot \xi^2}}}[/tex]

Which after substituting I for it's value leads to:

[tex]a= \frac{g\cdot \sin(\theta)}{1+\frac{2}{5}\cdot \sqrt{\frac{1}{1-\frac{1}{4}\cdot \xi^2}}}[/tex]

Can somebody please tell me where I've gone wrong

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
?Your solution is correct, but you can simplify it further by using the given equations for the moment of inertia and \xi:

I = \frac{2}{5}MR^2

\xi = \frac{L}{R}

Substituting these values into your final equation, we get:

a = \frac{g\sin\theta}{1 + \frac{2}{5}\frac{1}{1 - \frac{1}{4}\left(\frac{L}{R}\right)^2}}

= \frac{g\sin\theta}{1 + \frac{2}{5}\frac{1}{1 - \frac{1}{4}\xi^2}}

which is the same as the given equation. So, your solution is correct.

Related to Rolling motion in a special ramp

1. What is rolling motion in a special ramp?

Rolling motion in a special ramp is a type of motion where an object, typically a ball or wheel, moves down a ramp while simultaneously rotating on its axis. This type of motion is caused by a combination of the object's linear velocity and rotational velocity.

2. How does the shape of the ramp affect rolling motion?

The shape of the ramp can greatly affect the rolling motion of an object. A ramp with a steeper incline will result in a faster rolling motion, while a ramp with a gentler incline will result in a slower rolling motion. Additionally, ramps with curves or bumps can cause the object to change direction or speed up and slow down.

3. What factors influence the speed of rolling motion on a special ramp?

The speed of rolling motion on a special ramp is influenced by several factors, including the angle of the ramp, the weight and size of the object, and the surface of the ramp (friction). The shape and size of the object's wheels or surface area can also play a role in the speed of rolling motion.

4. How is the energy of the object affected during rolling motion on a special ramp?

During rolling motion on a special ramp, the object's energy is converted and transferred between its linear and rotational kinetic energy. As the object moves down the ramp, its potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases. The rotational motion also contributes to the object's kinetic energy.

5. What real-life applications use rolling motion on a special ramp?

Rolling motion on a special ramp has various real-life applications, such as in sports equipment (e.g. skateboards, roller skates), vehicles (e.g. cars, bicycles), and amusement park rides (e.g. roller coasters). It is also commonly used in engineering and physics experiments to study the principles of motion and energy.