Find the unkown tensions and masses in the situation below

Venturi365
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
TL;DR Summary: I don't know if my procedure is correct in this excercise

I've tried to solve this problem but I find my solution unintuitive and I think I might be wrong.

First of all, applying Newton's Laws I calculated the value for ##T_1## like this:

$$
\begin{align}
\sum F_{x} &=0\\
\sin(60) \cdot T_{1}+80\, \mathrm{N}\cdot \cos(60) &=0\\
T_{1}&=\frac{-80\cdot\cos(60)}{\sin(60)}\\
T_{1} &\approx -46,2\, \mathrm{N}
\end{align}
$$

Here's the first thing that looks odd to me, because intuitively ##T_{1}## should be ##80\,\mathrm{N}## too, but It may be just a wrong hypothesis.

Then I apply the same law to the node of the three cords:

$$
\begin{align}
\sum F_{y}&=0\\
T_{1}\cdot\cos(60)+80\,\mathrm{N}\cdot\sin(60)+T_{2}&=0\\
T_{2}&=46,2\,\mathrm{N}\cdot\cos(60)-80\,\mathrm{N}\cdot\sin(60)\\
T_{2}&\approx -46,2\,\mathrm{N}
\end{align}
$$

Which is the same force as ##T_{1}##. Is my method ok or am I wrong at some point?

je7yz.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, @Venturi365 !
What is the wording of this problem?

Lnewqban said:
Welcome, @Venturi365 !
What is the wording of this problem?
It asks you to find the values of ##T_{1}##, ##T_{2}## and ##m## supposing that the cables have no mass and that ##g=9,81\,\mathrm{\frac{m}{s^{2}}}##. The wording is just as I wrote it in the title.

Could you do a free body diagram for the node of the three cords?
Consider that the node must have a balance of horizontal and vertical forces.
The magnitude of T1 does not need to be 80 Newtons (imagine the extreme case in which the right half of the rope becomes vertical and its tension is equal to mg).
CNX_UPhysics_06_01_StopLight.jpg

Last edited:
Venturi365 said:
Which is the same force as T1.
The three forces must balance at the joint. Therefore the resultant of T1 and T2 must be along the line of 'T3'. With these angles, that means it lies on the bisector of the angle between them, implying they are of equal magnitude.

Btw, I find your use of signs quirky. A tension is generally taken to be a magnitude. (You could adopt a convention in which tensions have one sign and compressions the other.) Here, your equations have T1 and T2 negative but T3 positive.

I guess that came from starting with the vectors form, but then you should have measured all angles from the same reference direction, making some trig values negative.

haruspex said:
The three forces must balance at the joint. Therefore the resultant of T1 and T2 must be along the line of 'T3'. With these angles, that means it lies on the bisector of the angle between them, implying they are of equal magnitude.

Btw, I find your use of signs quirky. A tension is generally taken to be a magnitude. (You could adopt a convention in which tensions have one sign and compressions the other.) Here, your equations have T1 and T2 negative but T3 positive.

I guess that came from starting with the vectors form, but then you should have measured all angles from the same reference direction, making some trig values negative.

Taking all that in consideration I get the same result:

First I find ##T_{1}## knowing that, at the joint, there's an equilibrium in the ##x## axis in which ##T_{2}## doesn't participate (now with the angles corrected):

$$
\begin{align}
\sum F_{x} & =0 \\
\cos \left(30^\circ\right) ·T_{1}+\cos \left(180^\circ+60^\circ\right) ·80\,\mathrm{N} & =0 \\
\frac{\sqrt{ 3 }}{2}·T_{1}-\frac{1}{2}80\,\mathrm{N} & =0 \\
T_{1} & =\frac{80}{\sqrt{ 3 }} \\
T_{1} & \approx 46,18\,\mathrm{N}
\end{align}
$$

Then, I sum all the tensions in the ##y## axis:

$$
\begin{align}
\sum F_{y} & =0 \\
T_{1}·\sin \left(30^\circ\right) +T_{2}+80\,\mathrm{N}·\sin \left(180^\circ+60^\circ\right) & =0 \\
\frac{80}{2\sqrt{ 3 }}+T_{2}-\frac{80\sqrt{ 3 }}{2 } & =0 \\
T_{2} & =\frac{80\sqrt{ 3 }}{2}-\frac{80}{2\sqrt{ 3 }} \\
T_{2} & \approx 46,18\,\mathrm{N}
\end{align}
$$

And there it is, the same solution, maybe I'm just right and I'm being a paranoid, idk.

I'll calculate the mass, just for fun:

$$
\begin{align}
w & =T_{2} \\
mg & =46,18 \\ \\

& \to \boxed{\; g =9,18\,\mathrm{\frac{m}{s^{2}}} \;} \\ \\

m & =\frac{46,18}{9,18} \\
m & \approx 5,03\,\mathrm{kg}
\end{align}
$$

Thx for the signs advice, I didn't see that.

Venturi365 said:
And there it is, the same solution, maybe I'm just right and I'm being a paranoid
I explained in post #5 that with the angles specified it was inevitable the two tensions would be the same.

haruspex said:
I explained in post #5 that with the angles specified it was inevitable the two tensions would be the same.

Oh, yeah, I'm so sorry. I've been studying for a long time and rn is 3 am in Spain so my brain didn't translate that correctly, lmao.

Thank you for your patience and taking the time to answer :)

Venturi365 said:
Oh, yeah, I'm so sorry. I've been studying for a long time and rn is 3 am in Spain so my brain didn't translate that correctly, lmao.

Thank you for your patience and taking the time to answer :)
No problem, you are welcome.

1. How do you find the unknown tensions and masses in a given situation?

To find the unknown tensions and masses in a given situation, you need to use the principles of Newton's laws of motion and apply them to the forces acting on the system. This involves setting up and solving a system of equations to find the unknown variables.

2. What information do you need to find the unknown tensions and masses?

In order to find the unknown tensions and masses, you need to know the known forces acting on the system, the angles and directions of those forces, and any other relevant information such as the mass of the objects or the coefficients of friction.

3. What are the steps involved in solving for the unknown tensions and masses?

The first step is to draw a free body diagram of the system, labeling all the known and unknown forces. Then, apply Newton's laws of motion to set up a system of equations. Next, solve the equations to find the unknown tensions and masses. Finally, check your solution by plugging the values back into the equations and ensuring they satisfy all the given conditions.

4. Can you use any other methods to find the unknown tensions and masses?

While using Newton's laws of motion is the most common and efficient method for finding unknown tensions and masses, other methods such as energy conservation or kinematic equations can also be used depending on the given situation. However, these methods may be more complex and require additional information.

5. How can finding the unknown tensions and masses be useful in real-world applications?

Finding the unknown tensions and masses is crucial in many real-world situations, especially in engineering and physics. It allows us to understand the forces at play and how they affect the motion and stability of objects. This information is essential in designing structures, machines, and other systems that can withstand and operate under various forces.