Rollercoaster velocity question, only given: radius of loop.

In summary, the rollercoaster moves freely with negligible friction and has a loop with a radius of 20m. At position 3, the car has a speed of 14m/s. Using conservation of energy, the speed at position 1 and 2 can be calculated to be 31.3m/s and 24.2m/s respectively. The difference in height between position 1 and 4 is 44.9m, with a speed of 10m/s at position 4. Mass is not needed for these calculations.
MelissaJL

Homework Statement

A7Q1.png

The rollercoaster moves freely without negligible friction. The radius of the loop is 20m and the car barely makes it through the loop.
Find the speed at position 3.
Find the speed at position 1 and 2.
Find the difference in height between position 1 and 4 if the speed at position 4 is 10m/s.

The only part I've been able to solve so far is position 3 which I used the formula:
v=√gR=√196=14m/s

I'm not sure what direction to take for position one and two and was wondering if I could get help with those two parts. Thank you so much :)

Physics news on Phys.org
MelissaJL said:
... moves freely without negligible friction...

I think that you mean 'with negligible friction'.

For position 1 and 2 you can try using conservation of energy.

Oh yes. That is a typo, it moves with negligible friction. I understand that this is a conservation of energy but I am lost on how to use the formula without knowing the mass or height to then solve for velocity.

re speed at position 1:

Energy at 3 = energy at 1

What kind of energy at 3?
What kind of energy at 1?

Note that the height at 3 = 2 x radius and you do not need the mass because it eliminates itself.

Thanks I figured it out. The values are for point 1 the velocity is 31.3 m/s. For point 2 the velocity is 24.2m/s. Lastly, the height differences between 1 and 4 is 44.9m. That was great help. :)

Related to Rollercoaster velocity question, only given: radius of loop.

What is the formula for calculating rollercoaster velocity given the radius of the loop?

The formula for calculating rollercoaster velocity given the radius of the loop is v = √(g * r), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and r is the radius of the loop.

How does the radius of the loop affect the rollercoaster velocity?

The radius of the loop directly affects the rollercoaster velocity. A smaller radius will result in a higher velocity, while a larger radius will result in a lower velocity. This is because a tighter loop requires a greater centripetal force to keep the coaster on the track, resulting in a higher velocity.

What is the relationship between rollercoaster velocity and centripetal force?

Rollercoaster velocity and centripetal force have an inverse relationship. As velocity increases, centripetal force decreases, and vice versa. This is due to the fact that centripetal force is necessary to keep the coaster moving in a circular motion, and as velocity increases, the force required to maintain this motion decreases.

Can the radius of the loop be too small for a safe rollercoaster ride?

Yes, the radius of the loop can be too small for a safe rollercoaster ride. If the radius is too small, the coaster may not have enough centripetal force to keep it on the track, causing it to derail. This is why rollercoaster designers carefully calculate the necessary velocity and radius for each loop to ensure a safe ride.

How does the speed of the rollercoaster affect the experience of going through a loop?

The speed of the rollercoaster greatly affects the experience of going through a loop. A higher speed will result in a more intense and exhilarating ride, while a lower speed may not provide as much of a thrill. This is why designers carefully consider the speed of the coaster when determining the radius of a loop to create a desired experience for riders.