Rod Pendulum (high school circular motion)

In summary, A rod of mass m and length L swings as a pendulum when suspended from one end and released from rest at an angle θ with respect to the vertical. The moment of inertia of the rod is mL2/3. To find the speed of the center of mass, conservation of mechanical energy can be used, with the initial height being Lsin2(θ/2). The angular speed can be found by solving the equation sqrt(6g/L)*sin(θ/2) = ωf, and the speed at the center and end of the rod can be found by multiplying the angular speed by L/2 and L, respectively.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

A rod of mass m and length L is suspended from one end, and swings as a pendulum (ignore friction from the hinge). It is released from rest when it forms an angle θ with respect to the vertical.

The moment of inertia of the rod about its rotation axis is mL2/3.

What is the speed of the center of mass of the rod?
What is the angular speed of the rod?
What is the speed of the free end of the rod?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start this question.

I want to use conservation of mechanical energy:
(1/2)Iω20 + mgh0 = (1/2)Iω2f + mghf

Then ω0 is zero so it starts from rest. Also, make the 0 height mark where the center of mass hits at the horizontal. So that leaves me with:

mgh0 = (1/2)Iω2f

But, how do I find the initial height!? and once I do that I need to somehow get speed out of ω.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So I did figure some of it out. Using trig I found the height to be Lsin2(θ/2)

And solving that equation I gave before gives sqrt(6g/L)*sin(θ/2) = ωf

Now what I'm confused about is if I can just multiply that ω by L/2 to get the speed at the center of the rod and L to get it at the end of the rod.

Related to Rod Pendulum (high school circular motion)

1. What is a rod pendulum?

A rod pendulum is a simple machine used to demonstrate circular motion. It consists of a long, thin rod with a weight attached to one end and a pivot point at the other end. When the weight is set in motion, it will swing back and forth in a circular motion around the pivot point.

2. How does a rod pendulum demonstrate circular motion?

The rod pendulum demonstrates circular motion through the combination of two types of motion: linear motion and angular motion. As the weight moves back and forth in a linear motion, it is also rotating around the pivot point in an angular motion, creating a circular path.

3. What factors affect the motion of a rod pendulum?

The motion of a rod pendulum is affected by the length of the rod, the mass of the weight, the angle at which it is released, and the gravitational force acting on the weight. These factors can change the speed, period, and amplitude of the pendulum's motion.

4. How can a rod pendulum be used to calculate acceleration due to gravity?

By measuring the period of the pendulum's motion and knowing the length of the rod, the acceleration due to gravity can be calculated using the formula a=g(4π^2)/T^2, where a is acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and T is the period of the pendulum.

5. What are the practical applications of a rod pendulum?

A rod pendulum can be used to demonstrate the principles of circular motion in a classroom setting. It can also be used to measure acceleration due to gravity and can serve as a model for understanding other circular motions, such as the motion of planets around the sun. Additionally, rod pendulums are used in engineering for applications such as clock mechanisms and amusement park rides.