RMS speed of Hydrogen Atoms in space

In summary, the density of matter in outer space is about one atom per cm^3, mainly hydrogen atoms, with a temperature of 2.7 K. To calculate the rms speed of these hydrogen atoms and the pressure in atmospheres, the formula .5mv^2 = 3/2 KT can be used, where R = 8.3145 kg m2/s2-mol-K and M is the molecular mass in kg/mol. This can be found in Oxtoby, Gillis, and Nachtrieb's Principles of Modern Chemistry on page 379 of the sixth edition.
notsam

Homework Statement

In outer space the density of matter is about one atom per cm^3, mainly hydrogen atoms , and the temperature is about 2.7 K. Calculate the rms speed of these hydrogen atoms, and the pressure (in atmospheres).

Homework Equations

.5mv^2 = 3/2 KT

The Attempt at a Solution

PLEASE HELP! :) Ok so I have all knowns EXCEPT mass to I get that from my density? Using whatever hydrogens molecular mass is?

Physics news on Phys.org
notsam said:

Homework Equations

.5mv^2 = 3/2 KT

The Attempt at a Solution

PLEASE HELP! :) Ok so I have all knowns EXCEPT mass to I get that from my density? Using whatever hydrogens molecular mass is?

I use a variation of the formula in my teaching. Oxtoby, Gillis and Nachtrieb have a good derivation. I'm not sure if http://books.google.com/books?id=kX...onepage&q=the meaning of temperature&f=false" will work for you. If not, search Google Books for the authors. The text is Principles of Modern Chemistry. It is on page 379 of the sixth edition.

It ends with vrms=[tex]\sqrt{3RT/M}[/tex]
where R = 8.3145 kg m2/s2-mol-K
and M is the molecular mass in kg/mol

I am pretty sure the equation you gave will work using the mass of H (1.0079 atmic mass units) in the appropriate units.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to RMS speed of Hydrogen Atoms in space

What is the RMS speed of Hydrogen Atoms in space?

The RMS (Root Mean Square) speed of Hydrogen Atoms in space refers to the average speed of all the Hydrogen atoms in a given space. It takes into account both the speed and direction of the atoms, giving a more comprehensive measure of their average speed.

Why is the RMS speed of Hydrogen Atoms in space important?

The RMS speed of Hydrogen Atoms in space is important because it can help scientists understand the physical properties and behavior of gases in space. It also has practical applications, such as in determining the efficiency of rocket propulsion systems.

How is the RMS speed of Hydrogen Atoms in space calculated?

The RMS speed of Hydrogen Atoms in space is calculated using the formula: vRMS = √(3RT/M) where vRMS is the RMS speed, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and M is the molar mass of Hydrogen.

What factors can affect the RMS speed of Hydrogen Atoms in space?

The RMS speed of Hydrogen Atoms in space can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other gases or particles in the space. These factors can impact the kinetic energy and collisions of the atoms, ultimately affecting their average speed.

How does the RMS speed of Hydrogen Atoms in space compare to other elements?

The RMS speed of Hydrogen Atoms in space is generally lower than that of heavier elements such as oxygen and nitrogen. This is because heavier atoms have higher molar masses and therefore require more energy to reach the same speed as lighter atoms like Hydrogen.